289 Front Nudge Bar

289, FIA & Daytona topics
IainS

Re: 289 Front Nudge Bar

Post by IainS »

Thanks Paul. I'll dril a pilot hole and ensure it lines up with horizontal mounting bolts before drilling out.

Iain
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

I had a chat with Mr Stainless at Levington and as he said, these compound curves are something they do all the time. I had the option of chromed or stainless and after some thought (sorry Roger) I decided on stainless. We were working from an original AC tie bar kindly lent to me by Bernie, a club member who lives in Paris. The final result Im happy with, however the forward curve of the top bar is in my opinion not asthetically correct, i.e. it curves more than the bodywork! but I felt that we had to be true to the original.
To complete the exercise I had Mr Stainless make patterns of the bar so that they could make them to order. If anyone wants one they can be contacted on 01473-659295 or e-mail:- sales@mrstainless.co.uk
At last after a 2 year wait I now have a tie/nudge bar.

IainS

Post by IainS »

Thanks for loading the pics Allan, looks very smart. The front projection is familiar from my own research on originals Are the overriders from Europa? Need options in case Gerry is still struggling with supply.

Iain
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Ian,

Got my overriders from Gerry. Just for the record placed the nudge bar order with Gerry 3 years ago. thats why I carried out this exercise.

Regards
Allan
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Its really impressive Allan, first rate job. Might have had one myself if I hadn't taken a different direction with the car :) What's the cost?
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

....and it's got the slight curve in the bottom rail, so you're happy. :wink:
IainS

Post by IainS »

Allan, I assumed your overriders were stainless too hence question about Europa. You're lucky, I bought the mounting kit from Gerry around 3 years ago and he didn't have anything else at that time. I spoke to him yesterday and he said the overriders have been pressed and now need the mounting brackets welding in then off for chroming. But he's still talking about months and couldn't commit. By the time I get the car through the paint shop etc it will be a spring launch, so hopefully 6 months will see Gerry with a nice new stock of bumper components. He didn't exactly have a good view of alternatives so it's looks like I either fit c**p.... or just continue to wait. But if the car is otherwise finished it will be hugely disappointing.

Iain
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

For what it's worth Ian, I went to Brasscraft for my over-riders having originally had a set from Gerry fitted to my Kirkham which rusted really badly (pitting on the surface) within 3 years. They aren't quite right, compared to an original, but hey a blind man would be pleased to see the difference. (Never did really understand that metaphor, but the point is you'd be hard pressed to notice!).

Suffice to say, they're still looking good after three years. And they're SVA compliant :lol:

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
Migge

Post by Migge »

I once had 2 pairs of overriders and sold them to Johannes and that were not the cheap pressed steel once. They were casted iron and with perfect chrome finish. I don't know what the originals were made from or out.

What about this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152201935436? ... rmvSB=true

or:
http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h ... 7&biw=1280
Special customized BRA289
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Ian,

Got my overriders from Gerry, they are chrome. The nudge bar is stainless, but doesnt mean it cant be chromed.

Regarding price Colin it was about £450 but dont forget that included making the original template for further use.

Allan