Machining of trigo wheels - Machine Shop recommendations?

289, FIA & Daytona topics
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Machining of trigo wheels - Machine Shop recommendations?

Post by KevinW »

I need to have a few mm skimmed off the back of my trigo front wheels so i can then fit these knock-ons to my crendon (without fitment resulting in the front wheels sticking out and looking ridiculous).

Does anyone know of a reputable machine shop i can trust the work to either near pulborough/petworth in west sussex,
or near guildford in surrey? This is obviosuly a precission job, so i am a bit reluctant to hand the trigos over to any old chap.
agnoraan

Re: Machining of trigo wheels - Machine Shop recommendations?

Post by agnoraan »

Are you finding that the knock ons don't fully engage on the thread? The spinners on a 427 are different to an FIA and are machined deeper on the FIA's. Are these FIA wheels??

I have a diagram from Trigo giving the correct dimensions/angles if you want it. Unfortunately Photobucket's down at the moment so i can't attach it to this thread at the moment

cheers...Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

double post doh!!
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Thanks for the replies.
I have standard Trigos, not the FIA variant.
I have set of Simon Finlay hubs for 427 style cars, which replaces the standard jag hub and knock-on adaptor normal;y used on jag-axled cars:
http://www.primequip.net/images/65%2042 ... on_Hub.jpg

The new hub is used because without them trigo/vintage knock-ons on UK 427 style cars with jag axles will make the front wheels stick out by about an inch!

The usual solution is to use a simon hub which brings the wheel in sufficiently, but also requires some machining on the rear face of front wheel to make everything fit properly. I already have the measurements of how much material to remove for the crendon set-up. Been done many times on many cars, just i have no experience with who to approach for this kind of thing.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Not tremendously close to Guildford, but you could give Fuller Precision Engineering a go in Church Crookham, maybe. I've not had them do anything for me, but I met the chap at a local event and he makes things to very fine tolerances. Sounded pretty expert based on a half hour conversation over a pint at the local fete.

Unit 10 Grove Farm Business Park, Crookham Village, Fleet GU51 5RX - 01252 811855
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

It's not an especially high precision job. Any machine shop with a milling machine should be able to do that. You might struggle to find someone with a lathe big enough to take a wheel, but a simple end-mill will do Fine. Plus or minus a millimetre is all the "precision" you need for this job.

Paul
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Ooh, Reckon I could file it to +/-1mm! I`d be really upset if I couldn`t mill it to +/- 0.1mm, and I`m just a bodger! Wouldn`t fancy a wheel with a mil of taper on the hub face, at the rim it would look like a spinning plate! :shock:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

You're not going to get a taper because the wheel is going to sit level on its rim, so it's always going to be true. :wink:
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Ha, yeah, you`d hope so. :wink:
Seriously though, any remotely decent workshop with a big enough lathe or milling machine should be able to do a pair of wheels within .1 or .2mm of eachother. Half-hour job, tops. :)
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

OK, thanks chaps.
My concern was to make sure the material was taken off exactly parallel to rear mouting face. A mm in depth either way isnt an issue, but being machined true and avoiding a wobbly wheel was my worry. Sounds like I am fretting needlessly.

I'll follow the link to the Fleet chap, as i know that neck of the woods, having previously lived in Ash Vale.

Kevin