Mileage

289, FIA & Daytona topics
agnoraan

Mileage

Post by agnoraan »

Since getting my car, I've tried to use it as much as possible and will take it out given any opportunity. With the hardtop on, it's now a much nicer drive, and in the rain it should be even better with the sidescreens made and fitted. I've done just over a 1000 miles in it since early April, all of which is local use. I was wondering, just how many miles do you guys average per year in your cars? do you tend to only use the cars to attend shows, or do you take them out just for the hell of it? Is your car a fair weather car or would you happily take it out in all weathers?

Nige
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Mileage

Post by nikbj68 »

Fortunately the winter was so mild that there was hardly any salt on the roads, so we`ve clocked up over 1,000 miles since November! Been caught in a serious hailstorm and several showers, wind so strong I thought the sidescreens would fold in half, and plenty of sunshine! Several 100+ mile trips, and more than a few trips to the local chippy... :lol:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
David Large

Post by David Large »

I launched my car on to an unsuspecting world in February 1989 and it is currently showing around 56,000 miles. So I do usually about 2,000 miles per year which includes about 15 trips to Le Mans, 2 trips to Scotland and the Italy trip last year, plus a couple of other minor trips to France.

I take it out for all sorts of reasons, usually just for fun.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Just MOT'd the Mustang fastback, and the MOT 'certificate' shows 8,500 miles since last year's test. That's mainly down to Paul's Tuscany trip and a very long drive around Sicily last month for the Targa Florio 110th anniversary celebrations (including laps of Enna-Pergusa, probably the scariest track I've ever driven)*. The Mustang's total is now around 35,000 since 2007, on top of who knows how many in her first life?
The Cobra? 120... but to be fair it's only been on the road a few weeks and I'm still sorting the teething troubles. Engine hoist at the ready...

Roger

*and thanks to the MSA over the last 25 years, I've been lucky enough to have driven most of the European GP circuits and several others also.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Initially I had problems getting insurance cover for my 289 as the maximum offered was 5,000 miles per annum. Their reasoning was they didn't insure daily drivers and anything over 5k was excessive. In my first full year I drove to shows at Stoneleigh, Donnington, Silverstone and Le Mans, plus three or four nearer home. These alone totalled over 5,000 miles and with the selection of Highland roads around me my first year on the road was over 10,000 miles. I have calmed down somewhat since then, and don't attend as many shows because of the distance, but still manage to average over 5,000 miles per annum.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

clive wrote:Initially I had problems getting insurance cover for my 289 as the maximum offered was 5,000 miles per annum. Their reasoning was they didn't insure daily drivers and anything over 5k was excessive. In my first full year I drove to shows at Stoneleigh, Donnington, Silverstone and Le Mans, plus three or four nearer home. These alone totalled over 5,000 miles and with the selection of Highland roads around me my first year on the road was over 10,000 miles. I have calmed down somewhat since then, and don't attend as many shows because of the distance, but still manage to average over 5,000 miles per annum.
Move to the beautiful East Midlands, Clive, you know it makes sense.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Let me think for a nano second Roger. Live where I do, rainfall less than the SE of England, quiet roads, beautiful scenery plus Gleneagles, Blairgowrie, Carnoustie and St Andrews golf courses all within 30 minutes drive, or live in the East Midlands. Mmmm I wonder.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Ah, well, it's all about your priorities!
I don't do golf and I love driving in France, not to mention the warmer weather. I'd seriously struggle to keep to my mileage limits if there was an extra 600 miles to do every time I want to head for the sunny, empty D roads.
Northants and Leics have fabulous 'heart of England' countryside which is blissfully free of tourists - no 'Lochs and Glens' coaches here...
Fore!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Roger King wrote:Ah, well, it's all about your priorities!
I don't do golf and I love driving in France, not to mention the warmer weather. I'd seriously struggle to keep to my mileage limits if there was an extra 600 miles to do every time I want to head for the sunny, empty D roads.
Northants and Leics have fabulous 'heart of England' countryside which is blissfully free of tourists - no 'Lochs and Glens' coaches here...
Fore!
...or midges. :wink: