DVLA and VED

289, FIA & Daytona topics
IainS

DVLA and VED

Post by IainS »

DVLA managed to misplace my V5 application which they confirmed they received on 5th August (special delivery). This didn't come to light until I waited the obligatory 4 weeks and chased them on Monday. Anyway an exceptionally helpful lady in Kits and Rebuild department has now traced the package, fast tracked my application and V5 on its way next week :D

I read an an earlier thread on VED for our cars and thought I'd share the current situation, for age related registration applications. The registration date is current, the age of the donor is irrelevant. It's the first registration of a used car. VED rates are therefore those applicable at registration date, irrespective of the age or VED status of the donor. Assuming you have a pre 1975 engine, which VOSA confirmed through the IVA process, which only requires visual emission checks we have an anomalous situation that doesn't naturally fit within the current emission related VED bands for new car registrations. As a result DVLA use "light commercial vehicles" classification which includes "speciality cars". This classification has never been based on emissions and has two engine size rates, the rate for our cars is currently £235 pa.

Iain
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: DVLA and VED

Post by peterc »

Ian,
Does this mean that unless you have a suitable cherished number plate to reflect an older year of manufacture then you are issued with a 2016 plate for this year.
Clearly the rules have changed over the last 10+ years where the donor dictated the age of the registration plate and the VED due. They had previously started to base emissions on the age of the engine which made it a challenge to prove the date of manufacture.
Glad I built my car when I did.
Peter C
IainS

Post by IainS »

Peter,

No age related registration means you will get a reg number the year of your donor car, but not the same number. I think this has always been the case? But as far as VED is concerned the car is a current registration so is taxed accordingly. I think there have been some different experiences over the years re VED and interpretation seemed to be down to the local DVLA office. Now that DVLA has centralised this function in Swansea I would assume this is no longer open to interpretation. If you use most of the donor, the 8 points "re-bodied" concept then you keep the donors reg number and I guess you will still have the VED rate of the donor. This makes sense if you think about it.

Iain
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

You get an age-related plate, but nobody is getting 'historic' tax status any more. Which, given the current trials within DVSA and FIVA, is probably a good thing as paying tax gets one out of the 'is it properly historic' argument in the future.
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

That's always been the case with mine and it was registered back in 2008.

V5 shows year of manufacture as 2008 and year of registration as 1969. Gets an old plate, has visible emissions checks and I've always paid road tax.

Dave.

Post by IainS »

I think the notion that using front and rear axles and steering rack from a donor with historic tax status makes the rebuild historic is somewhat ludicrous. Frankly I think it's great we can achieve age related registration on this basis. There have been different interpretations by local DVLA offices in the past but the days when you could chat through a series of documents and photos with your local representative whilst enjoying a cup of coffee have past.

Iain
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Same as Dave here, albeit with a 67 donor. PLG tax classification.
The historic status door for newly registered kits is slammed shut and the door is well and truly bolted.
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

I'm quite happy with the status of my car, having an age related plate whilst paying car tax. Historic status would be a lie and be ego related rather than factual.

Post by Roger King »

Dave Woodward wrote:I'm quite happy with the status of my car, having an age related plate whilst paying car tax. Historic status would be a lie and be ego related rather than factual.
Dave, it is also more future-proof in my opinion!
David Large

Post by David Large »

Dave Woodward wrote:I'm quite happy with the status of my car, having an age related plate whilst paying car tax. Historic status would be a lie and be ego related rather than factual.
What on earth do you mean Dave - "a lie and ego related.

We finished building our kit car in 1989, we registered it in the only way possible in those days. I then, some years later, took it to the DVLA who inspected it and various documents and declared it to be a 1963 car. Then they, with no inputs from me declared it to be an historic car.
There is nothing ego related about this at all.
Ego related stuff for me is declaring that some of the non-original or non-genuine cars in our club are not kit cars. For me, for instance, a Hawk, a BRA and a Kirkham are all kit cars. Some are extremely nice and very expensive but they are kit cars. They are certainly not AC Cobras. Ego related stuff is also fudging registration so that a kit car ends up with an AC registration

I agree with Roger on this point about historic cars. I would rather pay road tax to avoid some one saying in the future that I can only drive it on the first Sunday of the month because it is an historic car.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!