DVLA and VED

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Roger King

Re: DVLA and VED

Post by Roger King »

David, a Kirkham is not a kit car - it contains no components from a donor, as a Hawk does.
If it's anything, it's a replica. That's why they are so tricky to register...
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

And once again we enter the minefield of what is or isn't a kit car.
DVLA classify my car ( and all rebodied cars) as radically altered vehicles.
Kits cars are like the Caterham where the complete car is purchased in kit form as pieces for home assembly.

I registered my car in 1999 as per DVLA instructions. The fact that they offered historic status I saw as a bonus as my annual mileage is rather low. Whether the historic status becomes an issue in the future who knows what will happen.
Peter C
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

David,

Your car was registered some 20 years before mine so the point is less relevant. I'm only saying to call mine historic based on any criteria would be fake and irrelevant (to my mind). No reference to your car.

Roger, (out of curiosity) based on your definition, if somebody built a Kirkham using some components sources from other early cars would that then make it a kit car? And if that's not the case wouldn't it require a 2016 registration? And what does the definition mean for Caterhams? I always saw them as kit cars since my brother in law built one many years ago.

Just curious of different opinions. If this is a 'light blue touch paper and stand well back' moment happy to drop the discussion.

Dave.

Post by David Large »

Dave Woodward wrote:David,

Your car was registered some 20 years before mine so the point is less relevant. I'm only saying to call mine historic based on any criteria would be fake and irrelevant (to my mind). No reference to your car.

Roger, (out of curiosity) based on your definition, if somebody built a Kirkham using some components sources from other early cars would that then make it a kit car? And if that's not the case wouldn't it require a 2016 registration? And what does the definition mean for Caterhams? I always saw them as kit cars since my brother in law built one many years ago.

Just curious of different opinions. If this is a 'light blue touch paper and stand well back' moment happy to drop the discussion.

Dave.
Dave,
The implication of your mail to me was that anybody who has a car registered as an historic vehicle achieved that because of some ego driven actions.
David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Dave Woodward wrote:Roger, (out of curiosity) based on your definition, if somebody built a Kirkham using some components sources from other early cars would that then make it a kit car? And if that's not the case wouldn't it require a 2016 registration?
The only components from other cars that could be used in a Kirkham are the engine and gearbox. Suspension, body, chassis, steering etc. are all as original Cobra, so I suppose it could count as a kit if you used an original Cobra as the donor...

And yes, a 2016 registration. Which is what mine has. I have chosen to put an earlier registration plate on it.
db replicas

Post by db replicas »

Kit Car: a car built from a kit of new parts, supplied by a manufacturer.
Kit Conversion: A car built using some new and some used components.
Or something like that :wink:

Or in other words. If you have a factory built "Roller" and you add a used (this includes reconditioned) diff, engine or gearbox, then it is a Kit Conversion.

Over the last 20 odd years that I have been building Cobras the way the DVLA has interpreted their own rules has changed. From all out "Q" to Age Related to New. And then there have been times when they have cocked up and issued a registration that may have been more favourable.
It is possible to buy (for example) a Kirkham with factory installed new engine, new transmission and new diff. This would not be a "Kit Car" or "Kit Conversion". But, as Kirkham are known as a kit car manufacture then the general population will still see it as a kit car. They just get a little confused when things don't have a fibreglass body..... bless 'em. :lol:
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

David Large wrote: Dave,
The implication of your mail to me was that anybody who has a car registered as an historic vehicle achieved that because of some ego driven actions.
David
Sorry you've chosen to interpret it like that David. Your car, like many others, was registered in a time when that was the process and is now almost 30 years old, possibly qualifying for historic status anyway. The post refered to my thoughts on my car build, my registration and under what circumstances I would chase historic status for an 8 yr old car.

Post by Paul Blore »

db replicas wrote:But, as Kirkham are known as a kit car manufacture then the general population will still see it as a kit car.:
I don't think they are Dave, at least not in the US. You can't buy a car from Kirkham as a kit, only as either a complete car or as a roller simply requiring the engine and gearbox to be installed.

Paul
IainS

Post by IainS »

Whatever you want to call your build and why that might be important to you....the critical thing here is understanding the registration process. The rules for current, retention of donor registration and age related registration are clear.

Iain
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Paul Blore wrote:
db replicas wrote:But, as Kirkham are known as a kit car manufacture then the general population will still see it as a kit car.:
I don't think they are Dave, at least not in the US. You can't buy a car from Kirkham as a kit, only as either a complete car or as a roller simply requiring the engine and gearbox to be installed.

Paul
...which is why I bought my 'car' from Hawk. I didn't want anyone else building it for me - proven to be a correct decision by the number of things I had to put right.
As Iain has rightly pointed out, this is OT now.