Re: Hawk FIA

Post by Tapped »

I know all about it....

Just don't go there
Tapped

Post by Tapped »

Right!

I went to see this car months ago as its for sale (or was) locally. The same chap (Ed) would appear to be selling it.

The car was built in the uk but lived in Malta doing sprints and hill climbs. The car was brought back in some deal with a mustang I believe but at the time I saw it the DVLA hadn't been informed that it had returned.

The car is nice. The paint is a bit tight so would benefit from a respray I think but it has all the right bits and sits well on nice halibrands (not hali but proper peg drive ;) )..the main issue is what the car "is"

If you look up the reg then it comes back as a red jaguar cobra from memory....not that shocking if it predated SVA. The killer for me was that googling the reg takes you to a blue ram for sale in Paris (at the time) ? A ram which also ties back to the chassis number on the V5 that the seller has........it's a Ram chassis number, not a hawk or a jaguar.....(hence my request for what Hawk chassis numbers look like on the forum months back 8) )

So....nice car, nice spec but in real terms in the UK it presumably can't be registered unless you want to keep up the pretence and put the Ram chassis number in the car somewhere...but even then it would still be a red jaguar.....The Ram in Paris was RHD I think so presumably left these shores at some point.

The seller asked me not to discuss it (if it could have been sorted I'd have bought it) but he's had many months now and it would appear he might be trying to offload it

Oh and total head turners were involved somewhere along the line according to the seller
Last edited by Tapped on Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tapped

Post by Tapped »

If I can dig the photos out I'll add them
Tapped

Post by Tapped »

Hopefully you can make it all out? The chassis no quoted from V5 matches the reg look up and the chassis plate on the French Ram

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Both Phil and Baz could confirm, but I think the Ram used Jag suspension all round which is why it probably got registered as a Jag Cobra using the Ram chassis number. Surprised you think it has Hawk front suspension as that would have been unnecessary with the Jag based kit. Or has it actually got a Hawk twin tube chassis to accept the FIA body and someone has just added the Ram number. If that's the case then there's more skulduggery.

The fact it still uses the description Jag on the log book was often the way forward for those converting their cars without raising issues at the DVLA. Of course in 1971 was pre SVA requirements. Along came the SVA and they should have re registered it correctly whilst they had the opportunity to avoid the new rules.

I guess it would be extremely difficult to register correctly now unless it can be proven as genuine 1971 build and thus potentially avoiding the need to pass an IVA.
I hope that anyone buying it in the UK would be aware of the problems.
Peter C
Karl

Post by Karl »

Peter, if you check the pictures at mobile.de you will see that it is a Hawk. Th car from below looks exactly like mine!
Tapped

Post by Tapped »

peterc wrote:Both Phil and Baz could confirm, but I think the Ram used Jag suspension all round which is why it probably got registered as a Jag Cobra using the Ram chassis number. Surprised you think it has Hawk front suspension as that would have been unnecessary with the Jag based kit. Or has it actually got a Hawk twin tube chassis to accept the FIA body and someone has just added the Ram number. If that's the case then there's more skulduggery.

The fact it still uses the description Jag on the log book was often the way forward for those converting their cars without raising issues at the DVLA. Of course in 1971 was pre SVA requirements. Along came the SVA and they should have re registered it correctly whilst they had the opportunity to avoid the new rules.

I guess it would be extremely difficult to register correctly now unless it can be proven as genuine 1971 build and thus potentially avoiding the need to pass an IVA.
Peter C
Hi peter

I think you've missed the point!

The car is a hawk 289 FIA. All correct and as you'd expect with correct chassis

The V5 with the car shows "Jaguar cobra" in red, has a ram chassis number on it and the k plate reg

The car in Paris seems to be the corresponding ram car with that chassis number (the photo of the chassis plate is from the Ram in Paris) and presumably wore that registration when in the U.K.

The Hawk is a "physically ok" car but the docs with it and it's reg number clearly are not all they should be
Tapped

Post by Tapped »

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/detai ... &fnai=prev

http://www.shmooautomotive.co.uk is his business (although this is a private sale)
If someone wants to contact him I'd love to hear the story 8)
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

That's certainly not a RAM chassis under that car, looks like a ringer to me. I think maybe somebody should report it.
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

peterc wrote:I guess it would be extremely difficult to register correctly now unless it can be proven as genuine 1971 build and thus potentially avoiding the need to pass an IVA.
Peter C
Irrelevant, as there was an 'amnesty' in (I believe) 1998 following which there were no provisions for retrospective dating. When SVA came in, all cars registered as kits should have been declared as such and would be granted kit status with no test. After that date, all kitcars of whatever date had to do SVA, no exemptions. So, any car now surfacing which can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was built in 1971 will still have to pass an IVA (which replaced the SVA). Sounds like this car may have similar issues to a certain black 'MG'.