Cheap Cobra

Post by Old Boy Racer »

http://winashelbycobra.com/

Looks a bit over tyred to me. Then again, if it's free :D

Robin
Paul Blore

Re: Cheap Cobra

Post by Paul Blore »

They're the right tyres, but it is sitting very high.

Paul
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Maybe it's because I only had a weedy 289. What size are they then? Have you scrolled down to the bottom of the page? No purchase necessary, buying tickets does not increase your chances of winning it says. Mmmmm.

Robin
db replicas

Post by db replicas »

Who built it? The lock wire on the front wheel is either wrong, or the hub/spinner is wrong for that side of the car!!!
Anorak mode off...
289Glenn
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by 289Glenn »

Hi Guys,
This car is a Shelby continuation car built by Shelby in Las Vegas, Nevada. They have been building "continuation" cars for years now. Both 289 and 427 versions are available. The 4000 and 6000 series are the 427 versions available in either fiberglass or aluminum. The 7000 and 8000 series are the 289 small block body versions available in FIA and slab side body styles. The FIA cars are available in either fiberglass or aluminum and the slab side cars are available in fiberglass. Although, it is rumored that 4 slab side cars were indeed made in aluminum. The source of the aluminum bodies was either from the Polish Kirkham factory or from Gerry at Hawk cars. I hope Gerry can correct me if I am wrong.

Regarding the safety wire on the spinner that appears to be installed backwards; the answer to this depends on who you ask. Some people believe that the wire is designed to keep the spinner from coming loose. Most items that are secured by safety wire (such as in a race car or aircraft) are wired to indeed prevent loosening of the part. With regard to knock off wheel spinners, there is no way that this wire will prevent the spinner from coming loose. (Ask me how I know this.......) The idea of installing wire backward is to provide an easy means of "seeing" if the spinner is coming loose. If there is any slack in the wire, the spinner is coming loose. I used to wire my 427 wheels so that the wire was holding the spinner tight. Due to an incorrectly machined race wheel, I lost the front right wheel of the car during a practice lap at a Shelby event. It was very embarrassing. A very knowledgeable Cobra owner schooled me in the correct way to install safety wire on a spinner. He should know, he owns and races 14 original AC and Shelby cars. Hope this helps.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I would suggest that there are far more effective ways to give a visual indication of a loosening spinner than to wire it the "wrong" way.
One commonly used practice is to place something like a 1/2" bolt between the wires when twisting them. Once removed, the. bolt leaves a visible loop in the wire which will close up if the spinner moves, but it will still hold the spinner reasonably tight for a period of time.
I've never seen a spinner intentionally wired the "wrong" way on any car,

Paul
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Old Boy Racer wrote:Maybe it's because I only had a weedy 289. What size are they then? Have you scrolled down to the bottom of the page? No purchase necessary, buying tickets does not increase your chances of winning it says. Mmmmm.

Robin
Those Goodyear tyres are 26.5 x 8.0 x 15" fronts and 26.5 x 10.5 x 15" rears. They're actually a wet race tyre, so they're brilliant in the wet and grip like nothing else in the dry. However, they tug and pull at every imperfection in the road surface. I used to have them on my 427, but I've since changed to the Avon CR6ZZ tyres.

Paul
db replicas

Post by db replicas »

Hi Glen.
Thanks for the insight. 8)
Like you say, "It depends on who you ask". I just Googled and found a bunch of "50th" cars with the wires the "Correct" way around. :D :D
There doesn't seem to be a "Factory protocol" on this either. :D :D :D