Original steering wheel

289, FIA & Daytona topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Original steering wheel

Post by peterc »

Andrew,
As already related the original Cobra had a 16" split spoke wheel rather than the one piece design. On this design you will see the dishing is created as a more obvious folded line rather than the smooth bend on the one piece unit. I don't know whether the split design is also slightly more dished than the one piece.
It looks like you can have either design in 15" which is the size most people use.
I think Roger had a lower floor in his car which allowed the fitment of the correctly sized 16".
You pays your money and takes your choice!
It's just one of those many differences between a replica and the original that either you personally won't worry about or needs addressing.
I think Alan has answered the center cap retaining clips issue. Personally my aluminium version just taps in.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I had the 16" wheel and the deeper dashboard in my Hawk as well, wasn't a problem.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Samthomasracing wrote:...if the wheel ever goes up for sale, but I'm sure there's a queue !
Well shee-it! If This 'original' wheel on eBay of apparently unknown origin/history is £2,000, I guess 39PH's wheel with known provenance and great historical importance must be worth, what, £20,000-£50,000, Easy?! :shock: :twisted:

EDIT: Missing link added.
Last edited by nikbj68 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

If it's the same one as I have viewed it's not even a split spoke 16" design so not specifically Cobra.
All of us could then sell our current 15" wheel complete with boss and center and confirm that it has been used on a Cobra.
Sell anywhere near that price and then go out buy another new one for less than 1/5th of the cost.
Who would be barmy enough to buy at that price.
Peter C
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks for the input chaps.

On the split-rim one, is there a ring that goes on over the splits to provide a fully circular hole for the badge to clip into? Or do you just need to position the badge springs so that they don't find one of the three gaps?

PeterC - thanks very much for your email and measurements, by the way.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi Andy,

Yes, it comes with a ring with recesses on the back to take the spokes and then fill in the gaps between them.

The 15" vs. 16" issue depends on how tall you are. The 15" wheel gives you a little more (0.5") leg room.

If you already have the correct centre cap and haven't yet bought your wheel, I'd go for the original style split spoke in whatever size suits you. I have a 15" split spoke wheel that your welcome to try for size.

Paul
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Personally I couldn't justify the extra cost of the split Rim vs the OEM version, and even with my steering column set as high as possible I think a 16 inch Rim would be uncomfortable to drive compared to the 15 inch, if you like to keep your hands fixed in the ten to two position, steering more than just slightly means having to take your hands off the wheel.
Doesn't the centre cap fit the OEM wheel too? It would be dead easy to make a small adaptor to hold it if not, as I had to with mine, but that has the nine bolt boss.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

The floor is higher in the car in a Hawk than an original spec car, so there is less room under the steering wheel.
The original centre cap does fit the "replica" wheel but the price different between that and the spit spoke wheel isn't great and it's just one of those extra details to get right if you're of a mind to.

Paul
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks for the offer Paul - I may come back to you...