Body style choice

289, FIA & Daytona topics
agnoraan

Body style choice

Post by agnoraan »

If you were to pick a 289 race car from the three below, which of these would you say would be the most desireable visually and why?? Which would you say would be the most popular choice for a 289 racecar?

Would you go for this one with the FIA rear arches and slabside style front wings?

Or would you go with the front arches like this?

Or would you pass on an FIA bodystyle altogether and go for the 39PH look? I think I already know one persons answer on this eh Nik?? :lol:

I think Dave Brookes asked a similar sort of question a while ago, but didn't get many replies. It'd be good for me if you could give a choice and opinion please, I'd really appreciate that

Thanks....Nige
Migge

Re: Body style choice

Post by Migge »

I would go for the famous Ken Miles Cobra CSX2431

https://shelbyamericancollection.org/ca ... r-csx2431/

BTW If it wouldn't take me another 10 years of creating because for lack of time, I would go for something never had done before :)
Special customized BRA289
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Nige
My comment would be if you want the smooth style of the larger rear arches then why not have smooth curves of the fronts. Staying with more slab side style fronts looks as if its only half converted from a road car. My vote would be for No 98 as it would infer it was an original factory race car.
Peter C
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Thanks Migge, so we'll add CSX 2431 into the equation. What do you guys think of the arches on this one, are they better or worse than the ones above?

Nige

ps Migge, I'm intrigued as to what your next one would look like :wink:
Phil Riley

Post by Phil Riley »

I've always liked 39PH in its Willment guise. But to be honest, I'd like any of the above. For me, if the car is 'period' in its detail, then it's just about right. CSX2345 could possibly be the most popular choice.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

For an FiA car, I like the rear arches of the '16' car, and the front arches of the '21'.
But, given the choice, there is no choice for me! :wink:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Nige,

I'm with Nik on the 16 and 21 combo, but of course, it may just be the angle of the photograph that makes the arches look so good and we all know that any Cobra can look so very different when viewed from different angles.

My only comment would be that if you're creating a bespoke car from scratch, then clearly its ultimate selling price will always be higher than an 'off the peg' kit. With that in mind, the higher the price, then the greater level of accuracy will be expected by any prospective buyer, so I'd be inclined to build an authentic car if you're mindful of a future sale. That said, sometimes an element of 'gut feel' can be a good thing and many cars are now in their current specification through a combination of accidents, rebuilds, repairs and plain old age, so what is truly original can (and often does) result in a very long discussion.

My view? Create something that both looks 'right' and is period authentic at the same time if you can (which you can :lol: ). The market for replica's in the true sense is changing and high quality cars constructed of the right materials and finished with the right details will always find a buyer, as there's a growing appetite for this type of car - just scan the classifieds for C's, D's and '40's and you won't see many of the best ones for sale for very long.

So in a nutshell, I'm no help to you either!

L
Last edited by Marsh on Sat May 06, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Actually Lee, that was a help thankyou and thanks to the rest of you that have posted too, it all helps. Once the major components are sorted, I'll start a build thread if people are interested.
Cheers...Nige
ps saw your car last week and it's looking good :wink:
Nige
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I'm with Lee on this. Pick the most pleasing features from original cars and bring them together on ine car, but it will be the "accurate" details that really make the difference. For me, it has been recreating the small details that has given me some of the most enjoyment.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

It is always, without exception, the small details that make the difference. And, often, cost the most to get right, proportionately.
I speak from 40 years of restoring classic cars, trust me! Well, old cars... they weren't classics when I started