Hillclimb rollbar/rollcage

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Ferngar

Re: Hillclimb rollbar/rollcage

Post by Ferngar »

Thanks David, I'd appreciate that.
I checked out the Thunder Road cars and it looked like a job lot from a scaffolders yard!
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

The only Hawk that I know of that had a full roll cage was Marcus Price's Yellow Peril, (which is now blue) built by Graham Fry in conjunction with Gerry H. Unfortunately I don't have and pictures showing the roll cage but if you can bear it, look at this video, it features the car, now pained blue, and there are some shots around the 11.30 mark where you can see the roll cage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WfS-6O ... e=youtu.be
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

My Kirkham has a roll hoop/forward stay good enough to satisfy blue book rules...it was also appraised by a Motorsports UK scrutineer who declared it strong enough to gain a Historic Technical Passport. Not sure how different it is to a Hawk though, both in terms of material diameter and thickness, as well as securing points.

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
peterpjb

Post by peterpjb »

clive wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:46 am Rob's car is an original 289

at least it is a perfect original-like car
usually all replicas that are built to the original homologation (FIA HTP), which includes the original rollbar with the forward stay are allowed to compete in (FIA) hillclimbs
Ferngar

Post by Ferngar »

Thanks Colin Newbold for that information. It is my hope to be able to run with just the roll hoop and the forward facing petty bar. I will have a chat with my local scrutineer to get his thoughts on the Historic Tecnical Passport. Thanks everybody who has replied to this post.
Mike Wood
Forum member
Forum member

Post by Mike Wood »

Hi

Did you get an answer to this question? Sounds like a replica Ace/289 would not fall under any period exemptions.

I wonder whether it is possible to run with a full width rear cage (not single hoop for driver and forward ‘Petty Strut’) including rear backstays and diagonal to current MSUK Yearbook (‘Blue Book’) design and spec or whether under the Blue Book regs in this example the cage would also have to have a front section and door bars too? And whether running in road legal condition would make any difference in this case for design and spec of roll over protection required?

Another consideration is how much protection do you want beyond anything that is minimum required for speed events?

Thanks
Mike
Last edited by Mike Wood on Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.