Rover SD1

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Chris Pendry
T289R Member
T289R Member

Rover SD1

Post by Chris Pendry »

Hello I’m a new member and my Hawk 289 kit is on order
I have a complete low mileage Rover SD1 with a good V8 engine and LT77 gearbox.I have had the fortunate position of being able to drive the car enabling me to check gearbox and engine compression whilst still in the car.Before I finish breaking the car and scrapping the shell are the any other Rover parts I should hang on to and maybe use? Perhaps Propshaft Brake Calipers Radiator ...etc
I also have quite a few Mgb parts so my plan is to use the wire wheel axle and standard ‘B’ suspension setup (maybe a telescopic conversion?) as my previous knowledge is MG.This will also help keep the budget sensible
Any advice at this stage would be greatly appreciated whilst I gather the initial parts for the build
Meantime Happy Christmas
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Rover SD1

Post by clive »

Hi Chris and welcome.

It sounds as if you have a good starting point for your 289. The only comment I would make is to suggest using Gerry's uprated front tubular suspension.

Enjoy your build, and don't be frightened to ask any questions.

Happy Christmas.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Chris Pendry
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Chris Pendry »

Many thanks Clive

How about the standard b setup but using gaz telescopics all round rather than lever arms?
I do however hear you say spend the little extra...
Regards
Chris
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I'm not familiar with that set up, but I am aware of a couple of owners who changed to the wider track of Gerry's suspension as they thought it looked better.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Chris Pendry
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Chris Pendry »

Hmm- I get your point -an inch or so wider to fill the arches better
Thankyou Clive
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Welcome Chris, good advice above......however if you are unable to upgrade at the time of build, you can do it at a later date, front and rear (the rear is what takes it out of your wallet) although the front may require some metalwork.
I’ve owned several Cobras of different makes over the years, but after my experience with Hawk, Gerry and this forum I can say you’ve chosen one of the best replicas out there, and the backup from Gerry and other owners is reassuring. Good choice ......

Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
Chris Pendry
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Chris Pendry »

Thanks for the welcome Simon
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Chris and welcome to the club.
One consideration to make is when it comes to registration you need at least two donor parts from one vehicle. The rest of the larger parts need to be receipted as new and you need to provide evidence of this to be assigned an age related plate. You are allowed one other used major component, anymore and you run the risk of having a vehicle of questionable origin which can result in a Q plate. MGB suspension can be used but it's not great. If fitted to the front it needs to be specified when ordering as the mounts are different. I did a write up on the home page of swapping the front from MGB to tubular wishbone. With the rear both mounts for MGB lever arm shocks and telescopic shocks are there so it's easy to swap over.
Prop shaft will be a bespoke unit, if you order from Gerry, you know it will fit.
If you need any further info, look me up on the members list and drop me a mail!
Cheers

Post by CobStang »

Hi Chris
I dont know if the front calipers from a V8 will suit your needs or not. I run the large two pot calipers from a 2600 SD1 with MGB V8 solid discs and have all the braking you could need. I keep them cool with ducted air from the front valance.

Anyway if you do not use the V8 four pot calipers do send me a PM, I could try them on another Rover project I have.

Thanks

Mark