Re: Colour Help

Post by nikbj68 »

Similar question being asked on the ACOC FORUM
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

ImageUntitled by simon jackson, on Flickr

I've painted a first coat on the boot lid as a test panel. I went for a 65 Ferrari Colour, Rosso Barchetta. Its nearest to what I had in my head.

The rest of the car has turned into a bit of a disaster. The paint shop I use didn't put enough hardener in the primer filler and i've done three twelve hour shifts scraping it all back off again. Its now back to gel coat and needs the filler doing again. It only took 60 hours to get right first time.
Last edited by SiJackson on Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

ImageUntitled by simon jackson, on Flickr
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Oh NO!
Nightmare! 🤬
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hells bells, what a nightmare! It was bad enough when I had to strip the underside of the bonnet when the earlier coats went wrong. Stripping the whole car is a completely different ball game.
If the paint shop got it wrong then shouldn’t they have stripped it back for you.
The colour you chose looks red not burgundy. A Ferrari colour!!
Wishing you every success in the next stage.
Peter C
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

They were just about to start stripping it. With Nitromors!

Imagine the damage.

I jumped in the car with no doors, bonnet, boot, screen, lights, plates and drove it sideways right out of there, with masking paper billowing out behind me and got it as far away as possible. Let’s just say I was a tad upset 😡
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Funnily enough I think I used Nitromors but then I was stripping it back to the rovings whereas you obviously wanted the gel coat to stay in tact. The whole purpose of my exercise was to be able to cover it in a thin layer of filler to cover the rovings and then spray it body colour thus suggesting it was Ali not fibreglass.
Incidentally it was a good final result and well worth paying the spray shop. Makes a big difference when having the bonnet open at a car meeting.
Peter C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I hope you will reward whoever recommended that place with two fingers in their eyes!
Too many rubbish companies out there. I've always said there should be something like trip advisor for companies too. I know there's a flip side and some people are never happy with anything but at least there's a chance to reduce the chances of people being ripped off with shoddy work.

Post by SiJackson »

I'm not sure i agree Stew. I know people with businesses who work damn hard and Trip advisor is a menace.

You get two types of customers. One who has a great experience, shuffles off happy and gets on with their day and is already thinking about what is for tea, and where the kids are etc. This is the vast silent majority who rarely leave a review.

Then you get one person that for whatever reason, right or wrong, has a bad experience, and they get wound up and just want to tell the world, on whatever platform they can.

The review then is highly biased to the opinions of those that had a bad experience. And it can be damaging.

We all make mistakes from time to time. It certainly wasn't intentional, and yes I could have poked his eye out at the time, and yes I have blisters on my finger tips, but hey ho, it is what it is.

And with the state of things at the moment, we have more pressing matters robbing us of our sleep. Its putting a lot of things in to perspective.
Last edited by SiJackson on Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.