Colour Help

289, FIA & Daytona topics
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Colour Help

Post by clive »

I'm surprised you were out on the roads today given the current situation. :?
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

clive wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:06 pm I'm surprised you were out on the roads today given the current situation. :?
It was a six mile round trip to the nearest garage to fill the tank up with fuel, and fill up the spare cans we use at work. Its no different from road testing the dozen cars we get in every day for servicing and MOTs.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I guess that shows the differences with lockdown in various parts of the UK. Up here there are no garages/workshops open for MOTs or repairs unless they are for essential workers. Even going out for my weekly shopping trip I feel guilty and would feel even worse if i were in the 289.
Cheers, Clive.

SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

clive wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:01 pm I guess that shows the differences with lockdown in various parts of the UK. Up here there are no garages/workshops open for MOTs or repairs unless they are for essential workers. Even going out for my weekly shopping trip I feel guilty and would feel even worse if i were in the 289.
Our town is rural and taking it very seriously, its a ghost town. We are the last garage open for miles around. Today we have fixed a Doctors Jag, a Pharmacy Renault van, the local Vet's Hi Lux and a care home workers Polo as well as those of other key workers. I'm doing my weekly shop online as after a 12 hour shift theres nothing left on the shelves and I've been isolating from my wife and children for almost six weeks now. I'm also now a NHS volunteer on a weekend. I'm very much doing my bit for the cause. I'm not even going out for my 20 minute excercise as frankly I'm bloody knackered after it all. Don't get me wrong, I would much rather be comfortably retired and enjoying the sunny garden with a pot of tea and Rob MacFarlane to read and sit this one out, even just to get to see my kids, but someone has to keep the show on the road. People still need their cars fixing. Besides, I also have staff to keep in jobs after all this blows over, and we ain't getting no bailout from the government or the banks.

Secondly there is no rule to say you have to use a family hatchback over a Cobra to do your weekly shop so you should not feel guilty for using it Clive. It will cheer you up and probably most of those who see you doing it :)

And to give you a little perspective, there are still five flights a day going into Heathrow from New York, the worlds biggest Virus hotspot at this point in time, with no testing on arrival and often not even anyone on passport control. A quick trip out in the Cobra to the local petrol station is a mere triviality by comparison
Last edited by SiJackson on Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

Not being awkward btw
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I queried with my MP why we hadn’t closed our borders to non residents two weeks ago. Australia closed theirs before I left on the 24th Mar.
Glad to hear that you are more than doing your bit for maintaining the health services vehicles. Don’t suppose the average person in the street realises that you guys need to isolate from your families.
Back the Cobra, it would be nice to see it at Silverstone but I think that event is in doubt along with anything else this side of September.
Peter C
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

I did Mum’s essential shopping in the FiA last Saturday!
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

peterc wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:51 pm Don’t suppose the average person in the street realises that you guys need to isolate from your families.

Peter C
It's even worse than that. I'm in the tiny box room at the back of the house and have meals left for me at the door. Problem is they are all vegetarians and seeing as every takeaway for 20 miles around are closed its been six weeks since I ate meat of any desciption. I've lost 5kg but its killing me :cry:
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I apologise. From your post I assumed you were just out for a jolly. Up here the police are getting pretty serious about folk who aren't abiding with the rules and if they see a car like ours or a motorhome they're down on them like a ton of bricks, which is rightfully so. I appreciate I could take my 289 to do our weekly shop, but from the reaction of those in the supermarket queues when a loud car comes into the car park, I'd rather leave it at home, and besides, the roads up here are still white with salt.
Cheers, Clive.

SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

clive wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:26 pm I apologise. From your post I assumed you were just out for a jolly. Up here the police are getting pretty serious about folk who aren't abiding with the rules and if they see a car like ours or a motorhome they're down on them like a ton of bricks, which is rightfully so. I appreciate I could take my 289 to do our weekly shop, but from the reaction of those in the supermarket queues when a loud car comes into the car park, I'd rather leave it at home, and besides, the roads up here are still white with salt.

Oh no, no need to apologise, no offence taken at all. I have to get through the dreaded IVA before any Jollys can be had :D
thats going to be really difficult now as all the VOSA stations are closed down. Would be nice if the IVAs got the same exemption as the MOTs for the next six month though.

I can't do anything about the salt, but when its gone, i would consider doing your weekly shop in the Cobra. A car is a car, and as long as its an essential journey theres nothing to stop you. Theres also mental health to consider. We are giving up so much to help to protect society, and we all need a little lift. Looking forward to getting the car out once a week, even for a boring run to Tesco can be one of many little lifts we can create to keep us sane when each day blends into the next. Also I have yet to see anyone who doesn't smile when they see a pretty car (or a pretty girl) go by. You might brighten someones day! I can understand the loud car comment, but I think we are talking about youngsters in A class Mercs with the silly exhausts that pop and bang, who love driving flat out in first whilst blurting out Gabba Techno. Even petrolheads think they are bell ends. There is a big difference in perception. Give it a try?

Keep safe up there Clive and I hope they stop salting the roads soon :wink:
Last edited by SiJackson on Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.