289, FIA & Daytona topics
Migge

Old BRA

Post by Migge »

Special customized BRA289
David Large

Re: Old BRA

Post by David Large »

Interesting looking car Michael. Don't think I agree with the power output, unless USA HP are smaller than UK BHP.

Cheers

DL
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Migge

Post by Migge »

I guess you are right David even if we don't know what's inside.
Special customized BRA289
tweedie

Post by tweedie »

BCG 71G was the registration number of a 289 that Gerry Hawkridge bought as a kit from Peter Ibbotson in the early 1980's. He painted it red. Nice to see this car sporting this number plate. Cars worth keeping never vanish without trace. You might find that all Hawks are somehow related to this car.
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Hi Everybody,

I'm a new member and the link to the pics of the ex-Gerry Hawkridge BRA gives me the perfect opportunity to post for the first time since I too have one of that vintage (see pics in members gallery). I tracked down the guy who built mine and he said it was one of the first 2 or 3 fitted with a V8. Plenty of clues to support that, although in the 8 years I've owned it I've made plenty of changes so it looks a little different now. The sight of that dinky little Mr Gasket air filter on the ex-GH car (just about the only ones that fit the early cars) brought back recent memories. After almost completing all the planned engines upgrades, the air filter needed to be replaced with something (according to the calculator on the K&N website) that flowed more air. Answer was an Edelbrock/K&N item. That meant hacking off the bonnet scoop and getting a Bill Shepherd Racing style scoop made in aluminium. As you'll see from the pics, it isn't painted yet.

I reckon the power quoted for the ex-GH car is unlikely to be 280 as well. More like 220, possibly 230. That's because I built my 3.5 to a spec provided by Real Steel from some of their dyno tests and that's what they reckoned -plus about the same in torque. Whatever, the overall approach for my car is a well used rather than concours look. If I'd been old and/or rich enough to buy a 289 in the 60's when I first fell in love with them, this is what mine would have looked like with a few mods to do a bit of amateur road racing.

Robin
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Robin and welcome to the Forum. Your car sounds very interesting and has history. I look forward to meeting you and your car. :wink:
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)