A newbie saying hello...

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Roger King

Re: A newbie saying hello...

Post by Roger King »

Out of interest, I've had a check through the COB/COX section of the SAAC Leafspring Cobra Registry, which records most of the original registration numbers of these cars. Of these, around 12 had Guildford registrations - but a large proportion of these were competition cars, not sold to the public - and it appears some of them did not gain their registrations until they were sold off as well-used cars. Ten new Cobras were originally registered in Greater London. I think these cars better represent Cobras purchased in showrooms to the wealthy public. The other 15 with original registrations listed in the Registry were first registered all over the country (although none in Scotland), with a notable proportion starting life with what would now be called 'cherished' numbers.

I don't really understand the fixation with Guildford numbers, unless used for an accurate reproduction of a racing car. For a road-going Cobra, a Greater London registration plate from the early sixties makes much more sense as most cars will have been sold through 'high-end' dealerships in the capital.

This relies on only one source of information - however the SAAC World Registry is unlikely to be wrong.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Roger King wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:03 pm
I don't really understand the fixation with Guildford numbers, unless used for an accurate reproduction of a racing car. For a road-going Cobra, a Greater London registration plate from the early sixties makes much more sense as most cars will have been sold through 'high-end' dealerships in the capital.

Not many Cobras were registered in West Lothian either. :P
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Thanks Roger, as you say, several Cobras appeared with ‘personal’ registrations, Geoff Dempsey’s GD100 being the first that springs to mind. 😎
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

...and TWU2, 11COB, JA5, RB38, LUA82, 300PK, the list goes on... these are all shown as first registrations, which I think is pretty reliable. I don't think any of these would have been '63-on standard-issue registrations. Personally, I'd look for a nice, original Greater London plate, as the most likely place to have bought a Cobra in the early sixties would be from a top-end dealer's showroom in London. I've collected one or two along the way including EGW8C and 691RK (which is earmarked for the XK). Neither cost more than a grand, but prices are going up. And no, neither is for sale.