A newbie saying hello...

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Slowjoe

Re: A newbie saying hello...

Post by Slowjoe »

<t>Hello Howard,I might have something you might be interested in.Its a Hawk 289 registered car.It was IVA'd two years ago age related plate.Anyway for the past two years I have been taking flying lessons and am thinking of purchasing a microlight aircraft so will need to sell the car.About the car I used the donor cars engine and gearbox with the intention of replacing it with a v8 when finances allowed but I was pleasantly surprised by how the car drive's so haven't bothered.Wish I knew how to download pictures.Anyway it's old English white,
Moss coil over front suspension,rear telescopic dampers.123 electronic distributor, twin su4 carbs.Soft top ,side screens,spare wheel.There is also a scissor lift included I need the space.Offers over £15000.
Dobie177
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dobie177 »

Slowjoe wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:28 pm <t>Hello Howard,I might have something you might be interested in.Its a Hawk 289 registered car.It was IVA'd two years ago age related plate.Anyway for the past two years I have been taking flying lessons and am thinking of purchasing a microlight aircraft so will need to sell the car.About the car I used the donor cars engine and gearbox with the intention of replacing it with a v8 when finances allowed but I was pleasantly surprised by how the car drive's so haven't bothered.Wish I knew how to download pictures.Anyway it's old English white,
Moss coil over front suspension,rear telescopic dampers.123 electronic distributor, twin su4 carbs.Soft top ,side screens,spare wheel.There is also a scissor lift included I need the space.Offers over £15000.
will PM you... thanks.
Dobie177
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dobie177 »

Just a brief update, and a thank you...

I have now formally placed an order with Gerry and so it’s just a matter of being patient and using the time wisely for further research and gathering the “right” bits as they come up.

I’ve also just secured a perfect donor car to (hopefully) ensure that I obtain an age related plate when the time eventually comes to register the 289 (in what could be 2 years from now). It seems these are harder and harder (and increasingly expensive as a result) to secure.

I might also try and buy a 1965 “C” suffix plate (my donor car is 1968 “F”) from one of the reg transfer sites. It might be insanely early, but I imagine these are also only going one way in price as numbers dwindle.

And a big thank you to this community. Already so many have been willing to offer their help and support which is both hugely appreciated and reassuring as I start on this journey.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

I meant to ‘catch up’ to check progress!
Congratulations! You won’t regret it.
If you can find a *PG 000 C or *PA - *PH -*GT that would give a great authentic look!
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Dobie177
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dobie177 »

nikbj68 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:25 am I meant to ‘catch up’ to check progress!
If you can find a *PG 000 C or *PA - *PH -*GT that would give a great authentic look!
Thanks Nic. Re the reg, I have tried. Very few Reg sites have a friendly “suffix” search function- and those that do don’t have any of those Surrey letter designations available... or at least I’ve not managed to find one yet!!
Dobie177
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dobie177 »

nikbj68 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:25 am I meant to ‘catch up’ to check progress!
I didn’t think *GT would work being London (rather than Surrey). There are some *GU plates - also London - but I presume as wrong as, say, a Yorkshire plate??!
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

You could get a dateless 3 x 3 reg ( not an Irish dateless or one containing an X or a Z)
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Dobie177 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:37 am Very few Reg sites have a friendly “suffix” search function- and those that do don’t have any of those Surrey letter designations available... or at least I’ve not managed to find one yet!!
It took me a long time to find a Guildford number for my car. Sore on the eyes. :shock:
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

644 CGT & 645 CGT are 2 particularly well known Cobras, but ‘GT’ is a popular choice for so many buyers!

(I shudder to think how much 34PH would be!!!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Just for interest you can apply a motorbike number onto a car but not a car number onto a motorbike. Probably why I picked up my number at a good price. I paid more to the DVLA to transfer mine than the cost of the number but that was 20 years ago. As Howard says the prices are only going one way.
Of course there were people who resided in other parts of the UK who bought AC cars. Just make sure you get the correct tax disc copy to go with the reg letters.
Peter C