Post by Frank289 »

hope to get it soon :D
289Glenn
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Spring Magazine

Post by 289Glenn »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the comments on my article. I had fun writing it. To Keith56, Here a copy of an email I recently sent to one of our customers (who happens to be an electronics engineer). You might enjoy this. The subject is why we supply "Posilock" brand connectors with our lighting kits:

"Dear customer.....I certainly agree that soldering is best. But, we have found that Posi connects are the best "all around" connector for the average Joe. Most customers don't even have a soldering iron. You will not believe how many customers have asked if they can use the "Acid core" solder in their plumbing tool box. When done correctly, Posi connects are very reliable. We have used many hundreds of thousands of them. Crimp connectors require a crimp tool and many customers don't have one. And if they do, it is probably a piece of junk. Crimp connectors have been proven to be inconsistent in production. Have you heard of the saying "Never buy a car built on a Monday or a Friday"? Well, the thinking is because employees are often distracted on these days as they are looking forward to the weekend or recovering from the previous weekend! The point is, crimp tools are only as good as the worker. Towards the end of the day, a production worker can tire and produce "weaker" crimps. The crimp tools we use here are calibrated and require a full "Cycle" and click when completed. This keeps every crimp "honest". And then, we solder them as well and add adhesive shrink tube. We use the very best ($$$) solder and we also use ultrasonic soldering irons at every station. These cost $500 each! Most of our wire is silver plated copper strands with teflon insulation. This is to prevent any melted or distorted insulation. Yes. This is overkill, but it works. Most military applications like to use crimp connectors as they believe solder can "wick up" the wire and cause it to become brittle and then break with vibration. With an improperly trained worker, this can happen but, I don't agree, because a crimp AND solder when done correctly is the best connection. And as solder is in fact a worse conductor than copper, it is best to crimp the connector to the copper/silver wire first. The solder is just there to seal and bond the crimp. Any wire connection should have a mechanical bond before solder. The cheap solderless crimp connectors you find in the hardware stores give crimp connections a bad name. You made a very good point, I just wanted you to hear our philosophy.

Thanks for being a customer. I really appreciate it.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Spring Magazine

Post by StewbieC »

Frank289 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:42 pm hope to get it soon :D
You were definitely on the list Frank!
Hopefully not a combination of German postal service and Covid 19