Newbie (second time around) - avoiding Q

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Jim_w

Newbie (second time around) - avoiding Q

Post by Jim_w »

Hi all,
Glad to see this forum is still going strong. Nearly pulled the trigger on a 289 FIA after chatting with Gerry at Stoneleigh a couple of years ago ( turns out it was 6 years ago...!) , joined up and subscribed to your great mag. Anyway a TVR T350 C got In the way but I’m back on track now ( sort of ... Ducati v4s Streetfighter just put a big dent in my cobra budget but I’m in no rush)

So I’m back researching my build and must apologise for my next question. I’m sure the answer is all over this forum but I can’t find it despite searching . Please remind me about what I need to do to ensure I can get a ‘period correct’ registration . I seem to recall I need an appropriate donor car with V5 and ensure a couple of donor parts find their way onto the car ( was it steering column and rear suspension?). I’m looking at using a Ford small block and considering Jag irs but happy to benefit from your advice . I used to have a couple of MGs and didn’t really enjoy the rear suspension.
I’ve read a few really useful posts here about documenting the strip down and build but I’m still unclear about the registration issue.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
BW
Jim
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Newbie (second time around) - avoiding Q

Post by amulheirn »

Hi Jim -

Welcome back!

I can understand your concern, having gone through the same process myself. There are plenty of answers on the forum but basically you're right: in the UK, once your car has passed IVA inspection, you then have to apply for registration. To get an age-related plate, you need to apply for your car to be registered as a 'kit converted' vehicle, as per these instructions: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... d-vehicles

If the DVLA are in doubt about what you have used, you might get a Q plate, but if you keep good records, take photos of the parts, and read their website carefully you will be fine. They're reasonable people and they publish good info, so just make sure you do your homework. Talking to other club members is an extremely useful source of tips, so log on to the members area and find out who is close to you. If you're nearby, do come over and we can talk through things - I registered mine in 2018.

When does your FIA arrive?

Cheers,
Andy
mark b

Post by mark b »

Hi there. Please define 2 major parts ? For age related

Regards mark
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

The options are Engine, Gearbox, Steering Complete, Suspension complete, Axles both.
You have to fill in a built up inspection report as part of registration and you have to prove if the parts are new, from the donor or from another source (receipts and photos). You are allowed one component that isn't new or from the donor which is normally the engine. (Engines require a certificate of age from an authorised person as this age determines emissions requirements for evermore).
So according to the rules, steering complete and axles both (front uprights / stub axles and rear axle) is the easiest combination to register a Hawk on age related plate. Other combinations are in the grey area and you run a risk of getting a Q assigned and once that is on the car, that is it. You can't assign another plate to a Q registered car.
The Hawk chassis is bracketed for both the MGB backend and IRS.
Whatever has gone in the past, is the past. The current rules are very transparent and the documentation you need to complete and the evidence you need to provide is pretty comprehensive. Also all kit registrations applications go to a small team at the DVLA and they have technical assessors within the team to establish the validity of applications.
I hope that explains the procedure.

Post by Jim_w »

Thanks everyone. I think this where I got stuck last time. How do you guys manage to get an age related plate if you plan to go with Jag IRS? Did you have to go the engine/gearbox route ?
Andy - not ordered yet, I want to be clear about what I need to do re registration first.
Cheers
Jim
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Unfortunately there is no way around it. Unless you want to fit an MGB engine or gearbox that is. If you manage to find an MGB with a T5 and 302 fitted the question may still be asked as they aren't original to an MGB. I don't think anyone on here is going to say otherwise as it would be against the rules.
I suppose you can change things at a later date. It's not too difficult to retrofit an IRS when your MGB axle gives up the ghost.

Post by Jim_w »

Thanks Stu - thought so. Think I’ll do as you suggest. I might find the MGB axle is fine which will save a me a few quid no doubt!
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Morning Jim,

In order to get my Reg, I had a log book for a 1966 MGB which I sent to the DVLA and notified a change of engine to a Rover V8. That with the gearbox, steering rack and front axle gave me the donar parts I needed, (back end is IRS), DVLA gave me a date related No. when I registered it.
A date related No. isnt essential because as long as you have a normal registration, you can always buy a No. and transfere it. The rule being you cant give a car a Reg. No. thats newer than the age of the car?

Allan
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

allan horsfall wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:05 pm Morning Jim,

In order to get my Reg, I had a log book for a 1966 MGB which I sent to the DVLA and notified a change of engine to a Rover V8.

Allan
I think that loophole was closed some years ago. Now if you apply to change engine details you need to back it up with photographs and engineers report.
(Also not the sort of thing we should be discussing on an open forum.)
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Clive you are correct.