Re: IVA Pass and Registration

Post by Roger King »

Just for info, from the original Cobra Chassis Instruction Book:
Castor Angle 7˚
Camber Angle front 1˚ Positive
Camber Angle rear 2˚ Negative
Toe-in front wheels 1/16"
King Pin inclination 10˚

None of these values were adjustable apart from front wheel toe-in.
If you require assistance with any of this, the book advises that you either telegraph 'AUTOCARRIER, THAMES DITTON' or telephone EMBERBROOK 5621. Good luck with either.
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Thanks again everyone. I've raised the rear a little, 12mm at the springs, this has set the camber to 0.5, it was at 2 so well spotted to those who noticed. However, the diff height is a little low compared to the Jag E-Type manual and lower wishbone angle is a bit out, ie too steep, so some shimming may be required. (at normal ride height the diff has to be at 7.9" and inner pivot is 1 1/6" above outer, with longer wishbone of course.) I'm not sure the correct Jaguar geometry is possible with this set up. The camber angle is set with a specific ride height determined with a gauge.
Any way, with my frazzled 3.5 there's no big risk of spinning out any time soon.
I've raised the front up too, but only by 5mm on the spring. (It was 10mm) Camber is 1.0.
Does anyone have definitive ride height and camber angles for the Jag/MGB combination?
Thanks for the Cobra numbers Roger, they'll come in handy when my DB289FIA arrives... meanwhile I'll have a go at the exhaust when the warm weather comes.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

DB 289 FIA? We’re going to need pictures when that day comes.....👍

Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

StuBaker wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:44 pm
Thanks for the Cobra numbers Roger, they'll come in handy when my DB289FIA arrives... meanwhile I'll have a go at the exhaust when the warm weather comes.
Those numbers are from the original chassis instruction book - they are for the road-going leafspring car, so I doubt they would transfer to an FIA car. If your FIA is leafspring I'd be interested to know the numbers it comes set up with.
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Sorry, I was only kidding about the DB289, and chose the wrong one, (but hopefully theirs is accurate to spec)
If you do have the numbers for a Hawk 289 with Jaguar rear and MGB front suspension they'd be very welcome,
Cheers,
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Bugger ☹️
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Sorry, I don't have any specs for Hawk. Plenty on here who will.