Advice for 289 project !

289, FIA & Daytona topics
ske

Advice for 289 project !

Post by ske »

hi all

so im planning a build having been to see the master, Gerry

of the body styles i like the Sebring cars with their purer lines but flared rear. The pic of racer attached looks to me like a sebring body but with a le mans roof. i would be going for this type of fia racer look. ( i understand the normal fia cars will have different arches and front air intake however)
so a few questions which i hope i may be able to get some advice regarding:

1. car will be for road and trackdays, is the hawk chassis the same as an original cobra? I would like the best option regards suspension so i assume the irs option is best. Cobras seems to be capable to handle well anyway from what ive seen in historic racing even with normal setup. I have first hand experienced Kevins car overtake me in the corners:)
2. is power steering possible?
3. is it easy to get 400hp from a ford v8? and would fuel injection be an option on these engines, or stick to holley carb etc?
4. can 950-1000kg be achievable, i wonder if body can be laid up thinner?
5. is LHD better for future resale value?
6. can a concentric clutch slave cylinder be used in conjunction with a suitable 4/5 speed box? (knee issue)
7. i would be looking to do a full cage, like some historic racers run

thanks for any advice (link to pic below)

shad

"https://i.ibb.co/zPCjL0X/DSC-9017.jpg" alt="DSC-9017" border="0"></a><br /><a target='_blank' href='
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Advice for 289 project !

Post by StewbieC »

Hi,
Gerry does an aluminium FIA that is a carbon copy of an original car that you can get FIA papers for.
If you are going fibreglass then the chassis is not the same as original, it is certainly similar but doesn't use transverse leaf springs. The engine sits higher in the chassis, foot boxes are bigger for convenience and the floor of the cockpit is higher so the chassis can accommodate MGB and Jag rear suspension.
A car with a Ford V8 will come in around 1000kg, of course you can build a SBF to 400bhp but it will have pretty shite road manners. You can't build a 5 litre engine to have that hp and have low level torque and smooth idle. I wouldn't go for a flat tappet cam set up either. LHD will probably reduce selling price if you want to sell in the UK. If you want to register in the UK you will have to build the car to pass IVA and you will have to conform to whatever registration route you go down.
Do your research so you don't get caught out at the 11th hour.

Post by ske »

thanks, so yes would be FG option, so that chassis has advantages over the original i presume?
would there be another route to getting 400hp, perhaps with a more modern ford, like the coyote engine? i would have thought 380-400 hp SBF would be possible and still drivable on the road though
i would have to enlist the help of a builder to help with the project
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Nope sorry, you won't get a Coyote in a Hawk or a 4.6 Modular either. I know to a 351W being fitted but it's too tight to be recommended. They are designed for a Small Block, the same as original 289's. You have little enough clearance as it is.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Hi SKE.
Sounds like a great project! The pic above is not a Sebring or FiA-style, but a ‘standard’-looking 289, albeit with Le Mans top. Gerry offers a Sebring body, as per Allen Grant’s ‘Executor’

3FBD91AE-D336-4F77-AB1F-26ABC326A85C.jpeg
Or maybe the Hairy Canary?!

7ED3C1A0-7079-4C55-B71C-41E6A46A382F.jpeg
I have the Jag IRS one one car, MGB live rear on another and much prefer the IRS; standard MGB front suspension one, and the upgrade Hawk/Hoyle coilover setup on the other, and prefer the coilover.
As Stu said, it is possible to get 450+bap from a 289, most of the top racers have that and more, but bear in mind that a Warrior or Knight racing engine will cost north of £25k to build, then live with, and in period, the very best 289’s would have had around 380 max.

There was one ‘Lightweight’ Hawk built very similar to your brief; originally known as ”The Yellow Peril”(why are all the cars I’m mentioning yellow?’) which wil give you some idea of Roll cage fitment:
3FBD91AE-D336-4F77-AB1F-26ABC326A85C.jpeg
I hope this helps. 👍🏻
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
ske

Post by ske »

hi thanks for the info on your cars
the irs option seems a logical upgrade
the pic i attached in my post above to me looks like a sebring style body as the front is like a standard 289 , but the rear has the added flares. its a nice combination
has anyone found the need to fit power steering?
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Ah, the perils of the small phone screen!
I mistook your pic for the ex-Granville-Smith Cobra with it’s slightly extended arches:
9B0CEE28-387F-4B57-8437-26BABAF5176B.png

Rather than Andrew Beverley’s COB13A, which is certainly a bit more ‘Sebringy’! 😉😆
2EB062E8-D966-4836-B944-C48A45BAD368.png
As long as you keep the front tyres to under 235 width, the steering shouldn’t be too heavy, we have 225/65/15 Avons on the MGB suspended car (and a 14” steering wheel) and my Mum can cope ok.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
kdavies3

Post by kdavies3 »

My Sebring build, when I finally get it through IVA.
Will eventually have a Le Mans style hard top.
I have tried it for fit and I think it looks fabulous.
Not a lot of headroom though if you're tall.
I'm a short arse so not too much issue for me.
I'm running a Ford 302 with a fuel injected 8 stack, big valve alloy heads and torquey cam.
Should be well in excess of 300 bhp.
That said getting the EFI to behave correctly is my biggest issue in delaying my IVA.
Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Kev,
Swap you the 8 stack for a carb........seriously, what setup is that?
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
ske

Post by ske »

hi Ken that sounds a great combination. what was your reason for going with the 8 stack throttle bodies? any more pics of your build?

im thinking i would have to have a tillet race seat or similar to increase head room