289, FIA & Daytona topics
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Hi Everybody,

As somebody new to this Forum, thought I'd better say hello. I did actually reply to the post about the Old BRA with a few details about my car but since there were no other replies after mine I guess few of you will have read it.

I first joined the Register (pre-website days) a while back but then lapsed after a house move - you know how it goes. Anyway, as you'll see from the other post, mine is a long and slow rolling rebuild of an early BRA with no pretensions at all about it being the smartest, fastest or shiniest. There are a couple of pics on the gallery and for those who like the oily bits, here's the spec of the car with all the mods so far. Next up is a better set of exhaust headers, a trip to a rolling road and then a proper transmision tunnel instead of the old round version.

ABW 173K - AC Shelby Cobra Mk1 by BRA

3.5litre Rover V8 bored 20tho & honed
High compression pistons
Hepolite rings
Michigan 77 bearings
ARP studs & bolts
Crank, rods, pistons, damper & clutch matched & balanced by EDS Eng
JP Racing timing chain set
High output oil pump
Viper Hurricane camshaft
Rhoads high rev bleed down lifters
RPI big valve stage 3 heads
Offenhauser 360 manifold
Edelbrock Performer carburettor
Edelbrock/K&N airfilter
Lumenition electronic ignition & coil
Magnecor plug leads
Racemettle high output lightweight alternator
Racemettle high output geared starter motor
Trimec electric fan
Tubular steel headers & dual side exit Cherry Bomb silencers
Electric pointless fuel pump
¾” front anti-roll bar
Uprated suspension bushes
EBC brakepads
Goodridge stainless steel brake hoses
Spax adjustable rear dampers
Lowered springs
72 spoke wire wheels with Pirelli P4000 tyres
Dual T45 roll hoops with harness mounts & rearward bracing bars
Willans harnesses
Cockpit mounted electrics & fuel cut off switches
Turret immobiliser

Robin
kaiserbilly1

Re: Newbie

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Hi Robin

Welcome to the forum.
Your car sounds as though you've spent a bit of time on it, do you have any up to date pictures that you can post ?

regards

Bill
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the words of Welcome. There are 3 on the members gallery showing it pretty much as it is today. If it works, here here are some more to add to those. The Harley belongs to a friend by the way. We make quite a nice noise together even though I do say it myself.
289-22a.JPG
Robin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

At my friend Dangerous Dave's house after doing our best to arrive quietly. We failed.
289-24a.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

The engine looking a bit shiny. Started with a bare block rebuild 6months after I bought it (I'll tell you the story about why one day!) to get all the internals right, then ran it with the standard heads, Holley 390, teeny weeny air filter etc. Bit by bit I then replaced all the outside bits, starting with RPI stage 3 heads, alongside upgrading things elsewhere. Somebody in another thread asked how a large air cleaner fitted under the bonnet of an early BRA. This was my solution. The very obvious air filter meant the new scoop fabricated by Luke at Chapman Classic Panels in Raunds, Northants.
289-17a.JPG
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Hey Robin

That looks very nice. Hope to see you and your 289 at some event soon. Are you going to Goodwood ?

Bill