New to all this !

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Velo
Forum member
Forum member

New to all this !

Post by Velo »

Hello, my name is Pete and I have just joined this forum. I own a rusting MGBGT (1973) with good mechanicals, so an attractive way forward for me is to buy a Hawk 1.8 kit which looks absolutely amazing in the photographs. I have restored cars and motorcycles previously but have never built a car from components. The mechanicals and construction aren't a major concern for me, whereas the paperwork, IVA testing and compliance etc is and insurance. Could any of you people point me in the direction where I can learn what is entailed to get a component car on the road, thanks
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: New to all this !

Post by StewbieC »

Hello Pete,
Joining the club is a good idea. The quarterly magazine offers plenty of useful tips. Click on join the 289 Register on the home page.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ategory-m1
This is the link to the IVA manual which is downloaded from the .gov site.
Basically you need to build a car that meets the requirements. The Hawk kit has many aspects that conform automatically and the build manual and various build write ups on the main club site under " Maintenance Info" guide you along the way in conjunction with the build manual. You then apply for the test and once passed you register the car as a kit converted vehicle applying for a new age related plate the same year as your donor vehicle. Value of the final product is linked to build quality, quality of the parts used and in part authenticity.
Lead time on a Hawk kit is 24 months and £1000 deposit gets you on the first rung.
Even with an MGB (from which you won't use a great deal and maybe the engine and box) you'll still be looking at at least 25k to build a basic car.
You'll need a wire wheel axle for an Ace replica too.
By the sound of things you will find the build straightforward. Insurance is straight forward, tax is PLG class, unfortunately the ability to retain historic status on new builds is long gone. Whilst the IVA test may seem daunting, most will agree it is firm but fair and if you go with the proviso that you will fail first time you won't be disappointed and if you pass it's a bonus.
Hope that helps
simonjrwinter

Re: New to all this !

Post by simonjrwinter »

Welcome Pete,

Excellent advice above, any questions ask away, there's always someone who's been there and done it to advise.

Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.