Car valuation

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Car valuation

Post by Dave Woodward »

I know this topic will have come up countless times in the past but a quick search on the forum didn't show any recent discussion on the topic.

My car insurance is in the process of being renewed and it's a couple of years since it had an approved valuation.

Does this club/Gerry still offer this service and what do i need to do (not sure where else I would go)?

Cheers.

Dave
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Car valuation

Post by clive »

Who do you insure your car with? I have used Heritage for sixteen years and they have always taken my word for the value. Occasionally I need to forward recent photographs to confirm, but never had a problem. They have always been great to deal with and are the most competative I have found. (This year's renewal is for £45k agreed value, 5,000 miles PA = £108 plus £30 Broker fee.)
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

I’m with Footman James. I’ve never had quotes like that from any insurer 😒
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Not forgetting that car insurance varies by area. E.g. it’s cheaper in Scotland.
I have been with Heritage for a number of years and pretty pleased their service. At the last renewal I changed to Abbeyfields who advertised in our magazine.
Very straight forward with both agents and you are just as likely to end up with the same insurer. Supply six photos including in the cockpit and under the bonnet and name your value.
Like Clive I have nominated £45k. When Gerry wrote an article on values it was back in Spring 2017.

BRA with Rover 25-30k
Hawk with Rover solid rear axle 35-40k , With IRS add 3k
Hawk with Ford and MGB suspension 40-45, IRS add £3k
FIA or Le Mans add £3k
Ace 30-35k but even £40k because of demand.
Of course the Ali cars start at £100k.
There will be a difference between what you could realistically sell the car for and the rebuild ( insurance ) value.

My suggestion would be try both Heritage and Abbeyfields.
I don’t think you should be at only £45k with your Ford lump.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Just an example of the North/South divide, my daily driver is a BMW 5 series M-Sport which costs just over £200 fully comp with 12 years NCD whilst my step daughter in West Sussex pays almost 4 times more for her Golf.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

I’ve had an agreed value of 50k for the last couple of years based on a 289 engine (HiPo if that makes a difference), close ratio toploader and IRS rear.

I’ve added salvage retention to the agreed value which takes me north of £400 for the policy. To be honest when I’ve looked around all insurers have been much the same. I put it down to south Manchester ‘weighting’.

Just sucking it up 😉
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

clive wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:19 pm Just an example of the North/South divide, my daily driver is a BMW 5 series M-Sport which costs just over £200 fully comp with 12 years NCD whilst my step daughter in West Sussex pays almost 4 times more for her Golf.
That, and you are old 😉
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Think this has been in the market for a little while at £55k but then that’s THT for you.

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1448560
T289R Member

Post by Drinkybeer »

Hi - just renewed my Hawk AC Ace insurance with Heritage (been with them quite a few years). Agreed value £40,000 and 1,000 miles pa. Cost £196.46. I know I could get it cheaper with Adrian Flux, but I've heard some not good reports about them, especially at renewal time when premium's substantially increase. I remain very happy with Heritage and the way they treat their customers and behave professionally.