Migge

Re: New and about to buy!

Post by Migge »

You can see a lot of the mentioned modifications here:

https://www.the289register.com/phpBB3/v ... ?f=7&t=493
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

If there is any chance you can get to drive different examples, BRA, Hawk, Rover/302, you’ll be able to make an informed decision. You’d be welcome to take a drive in mine if you’re in this neck of the woods…..
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
cobraboy

Post by cobraboy »

The BRA cockpit is a wee bit tight front to back, you will need thin seat shells if you are a longshanks.

Don't be put off by wallowy handling, if you are going to change the suspension that can all be sorted with upgrading.
I found the stock BRA very understeery, with an odd hopping characteristic to the rear end when on the limit. The std fitment was a short Panhard rod connecting between chassis and the centre diff bolts, this was not ideal, I actually ripped mine out of the diff !
Modifying front suspension to double wishbone, Rear to four linked axle, absolutely transformed the car, understeer gone, body roll in check, great handling safe car. The car is a Mk 1, engine height not an issue.

I think if I were going again I would go for the cheapest most basic Hawk and then modify it along the lines I have to mine. I think maybe you will be hard pressed to find a ready done car with all the desirable goodies.
The Hawk has a nicer body and chassis as std, but a used BRA may be more affordable.
SimonHudson

Post by SimonHudson »

Hi all!

Well look. Firstly let me say thanks to you all for the superb, knowledgeable and thorough advice you’ve given me. It’s very much appreciated, and empowered me to make what I feel has been a well informed decision.

I went to Devon today and bought the BRA. 🙂

There are some visible ripples and tide marks in the body, and I can clearly see all the areas you’ve pointed out to me where the BRA body is a compromise. The seat was a standard MGBGT V8 & pretty fat n padded, which meant at 6’ the pedal’s felt too close & my knees rubbed the wheel,…. My head slightly too high too, but I think swapping the seats out for less chunky Cobra buckets will give the extra inch or two that I’d like there.

The Rover V8 is on Holley carbs, & turns over for 5 or 6 seconds before it fires into life, but idles nicely and seemed to run pretty smoothly. It sounds gorgeous up to about 2500rpm, and then there’s about 500rpm range where it sounds like a Harley with a megaphone,…. and then back to classy again after 3000. 😂

Steering is incredibly heavy at low speeds, and the clutch is heavy at any speed,….. but totally drivable. It felt grippy and comfortable in slow corners, but at 70 on country lanes felt a little skittery,….. never scary,….. but certainly not ‘fill you with confidence’ ride!

The gauges all seem to be guidelines rather than truthful too, but again, basically they all seem to work.

There’s a hood n tonneau with solid side screens, and a massive folder of receipts going back to build.

I paid £25,500, which felt to me like the right price for this one, giving me scope to make the basic changes and improvements that I’d like, without throwing a lot of time and money into it to try to push it into something that it is not.

Ultimately I think having listened to what you’ve all said, I’m going to order a Hawk kit and build my ‘forever 289’ exactly as I’d like it, but for now, the BRA had the black over black wires that I wanted and put a smile on my face when I looked at it & drove it.

So there we are,…. I’m officially in the club! 🙂

Simon
SimonHudson

Post by SimonHudson »

A couple of photos,….. hopefully.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

That’s a good looking car!
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

That looks really nice and good to see it is correctly registered as a BRA. I wish you many happy miles of motoring!
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Oh yes, looks very nice. Miles of smiles I hope.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Simon, yep looks like you got a sensible buy. Remember you are stepping back to ‘60’s technology. I certainly can’t throw mine down a country lane as fast and as confidently as a modern hatchback.
We do tend to take 50 years of suspension development for granted when driving the tin top.
Enjoy the rest of the Summer with your new toy.
Peter C
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Hmm, yeah!
My additional 260 bhp has made my suspension feel like a bungee jump in a crocheted harness!
Too soon for Hawk IRS but upgraded shock valves and fatter anti roll bar pdq.
And new undies.
Can't stop laughing though, lovin' it.