Hawk 289 Value Appreciation

289, FIA & Daytona topics
MartynT

Hawk 289 Value Appreciation

Post by MartynT »

Hi Folks,

Firstly, I am new to this forum so please bear with me!

I have been thinking about building a Hawk 289 for some time & have a question regarding the value of a Hawk 289 & whether the value of a well built 289 actually appreciates over time?

Regards,
Martyn.
phlip

Re: Hawk 289 Value Appreciation

Post by phlip »

Hi Martyn,
I started keeping an eye on Hawks around 3 years ago and there seemed to be quite a few well built going for £25/30k. You don;t see much going for less than £35/£40k nowadays. A lot depends on the spec. and what you're looking for in terms of fittings ie. as authentic looking as possible or IVA fitted out.
I'm sure others will have views on here but I always take the view with old ( old looking in the case of Hawk!) cars... like works of art... buy what you like and not for investment. Fashions & fads can change with the wind and we live in uncertain times!! Values can go down as well as up.
Phil.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I think it is generally accepted that the more authentic the car looks then the price will reflect this. Having a Ford 289 is considered superior to a Rover engined example. As 289 engines are rather rare these days then having a 302 seems more desirable than a Rover of any capacity.
IMHO a Hawk is worth more than the average Cobra replica by other manufacturers because of its authentic looks. There are obviously exceptions to that rule ( e.g. Factory Five & DB make authentic 289 Cobras ) but I think that in the UK the Hawk has been built to be more authentic looking than the average 427. The devil is in the detail the say.
Prices of 427’s are also rising reflecting the cost of building an decent example.
One mans meat is another mans poison. Some people are not worried that their replica is obviously looking like a replica but for others authenticity rules.
My favourite hate is external boot or bonnet hinges. The original Cobra never had that feature except on the Le Mans boot due to the extended hard top which covers half the original boot lid.
I agreed with Phlip that you buy or build what pleases you. The fad for authenticity or any Cobra replica could change next year.
My Hawk 289FIA is insured for significantly more than it was 20 years ago when I built it but this only reflects the cost to replace and not what it might be able to be sold for.
Values of our cars are affected by not only the cost of new parts but by the values of original cars.
Hope that is food for thought.
Peter C
cobraboy

Post by cobraboy »

When it comes to rising values what folks need to keep in mind is how much would you have to pay to REPLACE what you already have in a total loss situation.
My own car, a 1988 BRA, I could not build another, there are no more being made, it is very authentic to look at, so a replacement Hawk would be circa £55k
Make sure your insurance is adequate, and agreed.
Oh and appreciation ?
Sure mine is not a stock BRA, it has lots of goodies like coilover suspension all round, rear discs, blah blah blah. I bought it for £10k in 1993 and it is now insured agreed at £50k, only about a million hours of work to do it, but it shows they can appreciate :-)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I agree that we need to keep abreast of the replacement value for insurance purposes.
Thankfully I don’t seem to have had any reluctance by the insurers on nudging up the insured value every other year.
Peter C
kdavies3

Post by kdavies3 »

An MGB based, Rover V8, Hawk sold at Matthewsons auctions recently for I believe £27000 plus premium.
Whoever bought that got a bargain I reckon, it was really nicely built from the pictures.
Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

kdavies3 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:26 am An MGB based, Rover V8, Hawk sold at Matthewsons auctions recently for I believe £27000 plus premium.
Whoever bought that got a bargain I reckon, it was really nicely built from the pictures.
marks6900 bought this car. (See For Sale/Wanted thread) https://www.the289register.com/phpBB3/v ... ons#p38301
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I would agree. I would have expected mid/high £30K's
Rumor has it that Simons FIA car went for over £70K via THT but then it was a pretty good spec. Tuned 302 etc. Even had heated seats!
Confirms there is demand in well built Hawks.
Peter C
marks6900

Post by marks6900 »

With fees it stands me to £29,400 it was built from a kit in 1993 and first mot’d in 1997, it was used for 3 years and 1200 miles before it was stored away until I bought it, in the last few weeks I’ve rebuilt the front suspension, the brakes, a new radiator, cleaned the carbs as it was being starved of fuel, period gear knob, jobs still to do, fuel gauge not working and speedo is over reading.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

That’s a good deal and a lovely car, once recommissioned, it’ll be like new! (Don’t forget to replace all your fuel lines for safety’s sake)
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.