Hanging the body for storage…

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Steve M
T289R Member
T289R Member

Hanging the body for storage…

Post by Steve M »

Not some kind of serial killer planning the storage of his victims!!

Was wondering if anyone have stored the body of their 289 (FIA or slab side) by hanging (e.g. from garage rafters) and if so, any tips?

Thanks

Steve
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Hanging the body for storage…

Post by peterc »

Have you asked Gerry for advice?
One would assume that it needs supporting in approx the same positions as the bolting points to the chassis.
Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

When I built my first car (albeit not a Hawk) the body lived outside for a few years deliberately: insufficient space in garage and I wanted it to take on some weather.

The key then was to prop the end of the rear skirt up a bit to prevent body warping and stress on the door apertures.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

If you want it to be up in the air e.g. roof of the garage, I would suggest two pieces of wood each long enough to span the complete body. Initially position each one in line with where each axle would be. The rear piece of wood would probably sit nicely supporting the boot floor ( without the spare wheel well.) I think that would be sufficiently strong in that area.
For the front piece of wood it would be holding the body up on the inner wheel arch which is a thin section of fibreglass. You may well have to add some re enforcement to eliminate any potential bending of that panel.
Then you can obviously use ropes to haul the assembly up to where you want it.
Just my initial thoughts. No guarantees as to what is best practise as I have said I didn’t do for my build.
Peter C
Steve M
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Steve M »

Kevin and Peter - thanks for the responses - I was thinking similar around the frame to support the key sections of the body (irrespective of if hung, or taken off for storage elsewhere)...

I'll have a play and will report back.