Fuel shortages

Other topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Fuel shortages

Post by peterc »

That’s good news for you Clive but it’s a long way for me to get fuel.!
Not sure whether a min or max limit of fuel would sort out the stupidity of these panic buyers. Obviously some are genuinely in need in order to get to work today. The fuel purchase levels over the last 2-3 days has been more or less three times the normal level of buying.
As Kevin stated they are queuing up with their engines still running that’s another of my pet hates. We have had builders sitting having their lunch without switching off, or mothers waiting to collect their children.
Just hoping the fuel situation becomes easier when away from the towns.
Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Hmm, yes! I went to 8 stations looking for diesel last night - only one had two pumps running and a long queue. Seems to have dropped off the front pages though.

Not sure what it says about the country's management if we have to have the army delivering fuel in England and driving ambulances in Scotland.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I spoke to a lorry driver 2-3 weeks ago and he related that there was a big back log of HGV licence renewals due to Gov workers being furloughed. Our neighbour offered another reason for shortages namely the garages were winding down their stocks of E5 ready for the swop to E10.
For my part I did not enjoy the drive down to Brixham for my holiday knowing I had not managed to fill up before leaving. For the whole 180-200 miles the petrol stations were either closed or had no diesel. Despite being informed that Torquay had no issues all the garages around were indeed closed or without.
So arrived at the hotel with just over a gallon left. Needless to say I headed for the bar!
Thankfully the following day a local Sainsbury’s had a delivery and whilst I don’t normally use supermarket fuel it was any port in a storm so I filled up. I was pleased to see a lady on the entrance directing each car to the next available pump so the forecourt wouldn’t get congested, so there was was only two cars waiting at each pump. No fistycups there then.
Driving back home the fuel shortages on the main road started again about half way home. So as Clive says it’s an urban thing.
Hope you are all managing OK. I have failed to get out in the Cobra for two events this week end due to lack of super unleaded.
Guess what there is now only diesel available.!!
Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Sounds like the conspiracy artists are out in full.
Anyway, if you are passing Storrington on your way back, no fuel shortage, there never has been (just lots of panic buyers) and loads of queues.
But this w/e no queues either, so perhaps the panic buyers have found something else to do ....perhaps buying sausages? I have heard we are about to suffer a UK pork shortage due to lack of (EU) slaughtermen, so, ironically, we'll be importing more pork from the EU.
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Funny that, this w/e I took advantage of the good weather to drive the cobra to our local sausage maker about 8mls away. A pork farm who make their own recepies, their marmite/cheddar ones are just fantastic. Drive and sausages were both worth it ?
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Make the most of it Allan. It looks like pork sausages are the next thing to be in short supply! 🤣
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

So when we have a pork sausage shortage next week we know the rumour started on the 289 forum???
Its bound to happen as they recently advised they were going to kill and burn thousands of pigs due to lack of slaughter house staff. I cannot believe that our entire infrastructure in every industry was supported totally by EU staff. Whose kidding who?
Only so many people returned to the EU after Brexit.
Crazy.
Peter C