Garage flooring tiles

Other topics
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Garage flooring tiles

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks everyone!

I have just plonked an 80-watt tube heater under it for the time being to keep the metalwork at a slightly higher temperature in the hope of preventing condensation.

The tiles seem to come in two types - the foam type ones that Halfords have which are cheaper, but probably less resilient, and the hard rubber-type ones which seem to be about £5 each. Still tossing up what to do!

I already boarded out the rafters, but think that has basically reduced airflow since it can't vent through the eaves. So maybe a 5" hole at the closed end of the garage might induce some cross flow through the building.

A friend suggested boarding out the floor with battens, celotex and marine ply over the top.

Carcoon isn't as expensive as I thought Stu - how do you find getting it out the way when you want to work on the car?

Hmm - decisions...
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Andy,
I pull out the Jack plug that powers the fans and unzip it. The zip is about 6" up off floor. Which ever end I'm working on just fold the top cover back.
When I'm done just roll the cover back, zip it back up and put the Jack plug back in. Takes literally just a couple of minutes.
If I have to work underneath on the lift its a bit off a Phaff, drive off and back on but I just try to plan my jobs a bit methodically. Will be unpacking next weekend to check underneath before I go to Race retro on 21st.
I probably wouldn't want to use a trolley jack off the base, just in case I damaged it. But I suppose if you did, some decent gaffer tape or groundsheet repair method would sort that out.
In my eyes the Carcoon is one of those things where you say, "why didn't I get one ages ago". Like a hydraulic log splitter!
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Carcoon's also come up second hand from time to time. I bought mine for about 3/5 of a brand new one. Its in the corner of the garage yet to be erected, as like others, prior to IVA I was reluctant to get it erected and then have to jack up the car.

Stu - do you pack it away in the summer, or is it a permanent fixture in your garage? - and do you run it with a dehumidifier as well, or just using the fans?
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Kev,
A dehumidifier is not needed as the concept of constant air flow and a slight overpressure prevents moisture build up.
Yes it gets packed up over the summer months, usually from March to November. As I tend to use mine when the salt is off the roads.
In fact this afternoon it'll be unpacked as its Race Retro next weekend and it'll be there. Just need to do a quick scoot underneath this afternoon and fire her up after the winter break!
After next weekend, I'll be replacing the MGB back end for Jag IRS :?