How many garages do you need- 2, 6, or more?

Other topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

How many garages do you need- 2, 6, or more?

Post by peterc »

I have just been reading an interesting interview with Gordon Murray. He lives in leafy Surrey in probably the only one bedroomed house that has 22 garages!
This is probably due to the fact that he owns 45 classic cars. Well only 15 are kept at home the remainder in storage at a local airfield. He also collects classic motorbike and they are hung up on the walls like valuable paintings.
Like Colin Chapman he prefers lack of weight to give performance, he hates turbos and the extra weight of batteries to enhance performance.
He is at pains to point out that 35 of his cars weigh less than 800 kgs and he enjoys the small classics like a Frog Eye Sprite or early Lotus Elan. He believes the way the car feels is the most important.
Being the designer of the infamous McClaren F1 Road car that managed a 1-2-3 at Le Mans he is however now designing a V12 supercar with a fan to assist the aero like the Brabham BT46B F1 fan car he designed back in 1978.
Interesting design but only accessible to those with a spare £3 million.
I guess he will keep some space in his garage for his new design.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: How many garages do you need- 2, 6, or more?

Post by clive »

I am of the opinion that the more space you have, the more crap you accumulate. At the moment I have a four car garage/workshop with inspection pit which holds my 289, ride on mower and various strimmers, chain saws, hedge trimmers etc plus all my tools. It is centrally heated so no need to worry about rust etc.
I also have a two car garage for our every day cars, Skoda Octavia & VW Golf. A large commercial workshop with pit and three phase electric where we used to service our lorries and double decker busses. Currently it holds our JCB, Kawasaki Mule and my old E46 BMW 330. In addition there are various other buildings which garage tractors and Ifor Williams trailer, plus agricultural implements.
Last year we decided to have a bit of a clear out which involved four skips and it hardly scratched the surface!
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

One bedroomed house with 22 garages? Perfect!
I’m very fortunate in that despite only having a single garage, my daughter only lives 5 mins away and I have full use of her double garage. If she ever moves I’ll be in trouble......
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
Frank289
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Frank289 »

Your right Simon, your lucky, a garage and close to your daughter thats perfect, i have my house now renovated and start this year with making a 4 car garage in the basement, one car spot will become a place to sit with friends and drink a bear one car spot wil be the showplace for my cobra , the other spots we use for car and motorcycle repair. outside i have 2 garage boxes for our daily drives. will try to keep everything minimalistic so its easy to maintain and keep clean. Hope to be ready end of the sommer.