Covid 19

Other topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Covid 19

Post by peterc »

Gee Simon, thanks for cheering me up! Pension and savings now worth 30% less and just when I want to spend some more money on enjoying my retirement.
Peter C
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Sadly I think there are too many people thinking it’ll all be over in a few weeks.
There may also be some social division down the line with those who have had it being a bit blasé about the social distancing measures taken by those who haven’t had it....right up to the point where people start getting it twice.....
I think we’re going to live in a much less sociable world for the next few years......still...at least we’ve got our health 🙄

Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Once again, I think your assessment is spot on Simon.
I hit the like button.....that doesn't mean I like it!

The effects of all the social mixing when the ssun came out is now feeding through into the UK death rate here, it'll be over 2000 lost by end of the week:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... untry.html

- the plots should really be normalised for population size, which given China's >billion population, and Japan being twice that of the UK, puts Western efforts to shame.
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Kevin, the 'Western efforts' are only put to shame if you believe the Chinees figures!!

Hope you all stay well.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Thanks Allan - I am trying too!

Take a look at Japan (63 deaths, twice the UK population and ahead of us in time) or South Korea (162 deaths, 51M population and way ahead of us on the curve).
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Remember there’s lies, dammed lies and then there’s statistics. I certainly don’t believe China’s numbers. They suppressed the initial news of the virus and some people just disappeared!
The Chinese hadn’t managed to suppress information about mobile phone data. A neighbour noted how many mobile phones suddenly disappeared from the system.
The UK is a multi national community. Travellers have been arriving home from all over the world.
We still haven’t closed our borders to non residents. I have recently returned from Australia. When I arrived there were no leaflets handed out to demand that I self isolate when I got home and no temperature monitoring in the airport.
In Aus it’s a A$ 20k fine if you fail to isolate having arrived from another country. They even have restrictions between states but then if is rather a large continent.
On a motoring associated note some of the McLaren team in Melbourne needed hospitalisation and put on ventilators. These are extremely fit guys to be in the team so it shows the virus doesn’t just affect the elderly or less fit people.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

On a positive note, since the problems started I have not had a single phone call telling me that my Amazon Prime has been renewed (Which I don't have anyway), That my Microsoft account has been compromised or that I qualify for new double glazing! I have also noticed that drivers are leaving more space between themselves and other cars and drivers are more courteous to each other.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Yes Clive you are right all the nuisance calls seem to have stopped.
I haven’t been out on the roads but will look forward to that in due course.
The phone has been busy but with friends and relatives contacting us that we don’t normally hear from, and the same for emails.
Makes a nice change.
Peter C
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

And when you do go out for your daily walk, almost everybody (at a distance) says “good morning”
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

simonjrwinter wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:52 am And when you do go out for your daily walk, almost everybody (at a distance) says “good morning”
That's the difference between us up here and those down there. We always speak. Have a look at this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT0ay9u1gg4 :D
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)