Tasks during the lock down

Other topics
Roger King

Re: Tasks during the lock down

Post by Roger King »

This is my current project, as of last September:
IMG_6780.jpg
And, thanks to lockdown, it's progressed a bit due to lack of interruptions. Luckily I had the sense to get my MIG and TIG gas bottles changed just before business ceased.

This week:
IMG_8176.jpg
Still a long, long way to go. Like building work, repairing and replacing the old is a hundred times harder than starting from new.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Can I guess at XK150 judging by the door top profile?
Will there be room to keep it in your enlarged garage or will one of the others need to depart?
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Actually the door top profile identifies it as an XK140, the 150 was a much 'fatter' looking car with the door top swage line almost at the top of the door. It looked like a 120/140 that had been attached to a bicycle pump. The 150 also had a one-piece screen, whereas this car (140) has a split screen with two flat glasses. The divider is chrome trim, not fitted in the photo. The car's a '55.
There's room - but the little Z3 M Coupé went just over a year ago. Shame - there's a lot to be said for a 325bhp Z3 breadvan, but the Abarth 124 Spider makes up for it and is convertible to boot. So still room for the sextet to fit comfortably.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Maybe it’s the angle of the photo as I thought the door top would have been lower towards the rear for more elbow room on the XK 140
Anyway, very nice and I’m sure you will make an excellent job of it.
Hopefully you will be able assembly all the pieces in the best order and not find access difficult for later items. E.g. when you have a fully built car and need to access something for repair that you can’t get at.

Currently cursing Gerry for the design of the 4 branch manifold and lack of access to the lower bolts on cylinders 4 & 6.
Definitely testing ones patience.
Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Sat May 23, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Roger, big job, but that going to be a thing of beauty when done. You’ll also have the satisfaction of knowing things have been done properly. More pics as you progress please......
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.