Tasks during the lock down

Other topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Tasks during the lock down

Post by peterc »

I wasn’t sure where to post this so started a new subject.
Hopefully many of you are making use of the time whilst we are kept off the roads to undertake work on the Cobra.
Perhaps you would like to divulge what has been keeping you sane ( or otherwise) in the garage.

I for my part finally got round to adjusting my LT77 gearshift. It had been reluctant to change from 2nd to 3rd for rather a long time. Apparently the change mechanism is renowned for needing adjustment. Thankfully it only required removal of the gaiter to access the adjusting bolts under the spring levers that control the default position of 3rd. Obviously it will need to be tested for real but first signs are that I can now easily change without recourse to looking and concentrating on where the stick is being pushed. E.g. as it should be.

Current project is a fair bit more involved. The cylinder heads have been away to JE Engineering to be converted into their Sport spec which gives me larger valves. They had already been gas flowed at the engine build stage but had standard sized valves. They now boast 41.25 inlets and 37 exhausts with the throats blended into the existing ports. I am having issues with the tightening requirements. I think I have been supplied with the wrong bolts but more anon when I have resolved.

Also trying to get hold of OEM quality rocker shafts as the originals look a bit suspect and I didn’t want to mount some new YellaTerra roller rockers onto a dodgy shaft. I will write something for the magazine when it’s all fitted and working. Currently frustrated at the holdups. Glad it’s taking place during the lengthy shutdown otherwise I would be getting wound up at not being able to drive the new set up.

What have you been up to?
Peter C
simonjrwinter

Re: Tasks during the lock down

Post by simonjrwinter »

After having my car sprayed by Nige, I managed to collect it just a few days before the lockdown started and have spent the past few weeks putting it back together along with fitting a Jaguar IRS.
A new dashboard is also going in and once that’s done I’ll be cutting the carpets to fit. It’s been nice spending the days in the garage knowing I’m not under any time constraints and have been able to take my time and get things done nicely. I must be honest, I am itching to drive the car again......
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

I've been trying to get a better driving experience from the car by accurately setting up the front suspension, as I'm hoping to do some sprints and hillclimbs with it in the future

. After a good few days of banging my head against a brick wall, and not really getting anywhere, I found that the fulcrum shaft mounting plate had been welded to the chassis at the wrong angle at the point of manufacture. It was out by almost 19mm!! Copious amounts of work and I now have something very near to the point I wanted it to be.

Back on with the rear end bodywork now whilst awaiting new shocks and springs and hi tensile nuts and bolts to bolt the suspension back together again
Nige
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

At this time of the year I find I have too many other things to do, so work on the car doesn't get done.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Ditto Clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

I charged the battery and firrd up the car as it has been static for most of the winter, pre-lockdown.
Got her up to temperature and gave it a few revs - nice to hear the old girl again.
DavidP
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidP »

a long listie of things to do, but due to the lock down here in Belgium shes stuck in winter storage......
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I glad to say that I am nearly finished with the re assembly after fitting the modified heads. It appears the sting is in the tail in so much as the last job of bolting the exhaust manifolds back up is proving the most challenging. By way of a warning to others if you have ever bumped a sleeping policemen with the bottom bend between manifold and exhaust system then assume you will have distorted the manifold. A suitable bar was needed to persuade the last branch into position having got the first three attached. Not easy!
Looking forward to firing up and hoping that there are no issues with leaks etc.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Been there, done it and bought the T shirt, but luckily didn't damage the manifold! (Or sump)

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Ouch!
Hope you haven’t damaged your chassis lugs that take the engine mounts like John C has. He found his had snapped!
When I have finished my current bolting up task I will be getting into the pit to check for cracks in mine.
Apparently Gerry saw fit to add a re enforcing gusset sometime after 1999.
Peter C