Restomod MGB

Other topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Restomod MGB

Post by peterc »

I was interested to see the extent that Frontline Abingdon have modified an MGB that they now have for general sale. They say it doesn’t require type approval as it retains its 1965 status. It’s available to anyone wanting to spend over £88K
It is manufactured from a complete new body from Heritage with additional strengthening and a hand made bonnet. It then gains a Mazda 2.5 engine and its associated efficiencies, electric steering and modern brakes. The suspension has been modified to make it handle better but they don’t say how much is similar to the original design. They don’t mention anything about the rear axle.
The fact that engine, gearbox, steering and some of the suspension is no longer original surprises me that they can openly sell it as an 1965 MGB bearing in mind the difficulties we have all had in meeting the rules of SVA/ IVA.
Original dash with the previous protrusions. No repeat side indicators this list goes on.
Peter C
kdavies3

Re: Restomod MGB

Post by kdavies3 »

I think I saw this or something similar at a show a couple of years back.
I agree, it doesn't seem quite right to me either.
I would think it would at least require a low volume IVA approval.
Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

There's also a Jenson Interceptor, same kind of deal although that's a bit pricier.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

I think the Jensen is a restoration of the original car rather than a new shell.
If someone can re-shell an MGB, perfectly legally and with the approval of the DVLA, then drop in a more modern lump, change the suspension, brakes etc what's the difference?
My TR6 has a Rover V8 in it, I could put it on a new chassis and even a new shell (they were produced a while ago but supplied has since dried up)
Frontline are selling them as 1960's cars not trying to pass them off as new (despite having all new parts)
It's one of those things we should keep quiet about and be thankful we are allowed to do this.....
JMHO
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.