Fuel shortages

Other topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Fuel shortages

Post by peterc »

What’s the quickest way to create a shortage of fuel. Get a government minister on TV to state that there is plenty of fuel available and no problem with supplies. 50% of garages local to me have now run out of fuel due to everyone filling up.
I was hoping to go out in the Cob tomorrow but stupidly didn’t join the hundred yard long queue hoping another station would not be so crowded. So that plan has evaporated.
I’m also due make a long journey in the Audi but am short on diesel. Now got to hope I can get enough somewhere to get back home.
Message to the gentleman who was allegedly seen filling up 6 Jerry cans of fuel. Assuming you didn’t need it for your weekly profession I trust you notified your insurance company of the increased risk of storing so much fuel.
These people really wind me up. Totally selfish.
What now happens to those medical staff who need to attend to patients and other front line activities.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Fuel shortages

Post by clive »

Once again it seems to be an urban problem. I buy my papers and milk at my local garage as it is the nearest place. This morning when I was there I asked what the situation 're fuel was and they said they hadn't had any problems whatsoever, in fact they had their scheduled delivery that morning and their next delivery is scheduled for the beginning of the week. On thursday i heard Jeremy Vine talking about a potential problem, but he didnt want to cause any panic. He kept banging on about it all day and again on Friday.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

It’s because it’s being discussed by the media that causes the average punter to rush out and buy.
At the start of the pandemic lockdowns we were suddenly short of toilet paper , then it was pasta and rice and so on.
It’s crazy. There wouldn’t be a shortage if they all continued to buy as and when they really needed it.
Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Govt have just announced that 5000 temp visas will be issued for drivers and 5500 for poultry workers in the lead up to Christmas.
Cheers, Clive.

Migge

Post by Migge »

They should tell on TV that they are short of functional brains. :-)
Special customized BRA289
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Whilst I agree with you Migge that would be deemed as harassment!
I did wonder whether it shows they have insecurity.
Children can’t walk to school anymore they have to be driven is just the start of the process. Parents have become paranoid. I would guess that residents up around where Clive lives are far more resilient than the softy southerners. Yes, I am a born and bred southerner so am allowed to say that.
Peter C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I'm just so glad that I hardly go anywhere at the weekends
Oil change and all filters changed in two cars (Ranger and Disco sport), repaired and painted 3 Windows, made all brackets and made steering linkage for a Hawk Ace with a Getrag box.
Beats queuing at a fuel station .......#D1@k h3£ds
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I have just driven up from Edinburgh and there is no sign whatsoever of queuing at petrol stations or garages without fuel.
Cheers, Clive.

KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

I am in Storrington, West Sussex, on the edge of the national park, so semi-rural.
It started Friday at the filling station a few 100 metres from my house and has been continuous ever since. The station was re-supplied this morning.
Cars queuing 10-20 long past my house with engines running.

A media-generated panic. DM headline' Chaos at the Pumps', after days of egging on the not-so-bright. BBC and ITV reporting just as bad. In fact the ITV article on their website was basically wrong. Poor quality and irresponsible reporting across the board. I suppose this throws the primary aim of news media (sell advertising space and shift product) into stark contrast with the utopia of reporting and contextualising important news issues.

I just wish the filling stations would impose a minimum charge of £50. That would soon get rid of the morons and smooth out demand.

Sorry, the whole thing has wound me up all w/e. Rant over.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Took my car to my Daughters today where it over-winters. Would have liked to have put the fuel stabiliser in a full tank, but couldn’t be arsed with the whole queueing business. SORN’d until April now (when hopefully things will be better.
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.