Anniversary

Other topics
allan horsfall

Anniversary

Post by allan horsfall »

Morning All,

I read Johns message reminding us that next years Silverstone is the Cobra 60th anniversary and Im sure many of us will be there and will hopefully get a circuit parade? But isnt it also the clubs 25th are we going to celebrate that in some way.

Regards
Allan
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Anniversary

Post by peterc »

Hi Alan,
I had originally thought the club had started earlier than 97 so decided the best way to check was to ask the man who started it all. Frank Allen of course.
It appears from his email that the club was generated during 96 but the first event was April 97.

Edited email reply as follows.
I contacted Gerry and Tony Sinclair (CRC) to make a list of non 427 owners and during mid ’95 sent out a questionnaire to gauge interest
Based on the response by the end of ’96 we were able to organise an inaugural event on 26/27 April ’97 at Kidlington Airfield. So I believe this to be when The 289 Register was born.
In the autumn of the same year we held (5th Oct.) our 2nd event at Old Warden Aerodrome
Jan ’99 saw the first issue of the 289 Register (News)

So Alan you are correct it was 1997. As the ground work of getting members was done in 1996 perhaps we should start celebrating now thro’ till April next year?
Peter C
allan horsfall

Re: Anniversary

Post by allan horsfall »

Morning Peter,

Thanks for the background info and the original efforts of Frank Allen. Just as a suggestion to the committee, how about a 'Silver foil' version of the Silverstone Classsic plaque for next years AGM? Would look good on our cars on a parade lap? and help differentiate our club from the also rans.
Out of interest do we know if a Cobra parade is being mooted, if not perhaps we should raise the idea.

Allan