Spitfire

Other topics
allan horsfall

Spitfire

Post by allan horsfall »

Off to Duxford this morning to see the Spitfires they've got 11 of them on display. Think the event ends in a few days time and the tickets to sit in the cockpit have all been sold unfortunately. But hey! dagga, dagga,dagga,dagga,dagga!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Spitfire

Post by peterc »

Have you any thought of going for flight in the two seater Spit from either Biggin Hill or Goodwood?
My brother says it was very enjoyable. I very tempted but the cost for such a short time is a hurdle for me to over come.
Peter Can
cobraboy

Post by cobraboy »

I have flown in ML407 belonging to Carolyn Grace, once from Duxford, and once from Woodbridge. I don't think anything I could possibly do, baring a drive in an F1 car will ever top it.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Allan, did you enjoy it? We went a few weeks ago. Highlight for me was MH434. In the hands of the late Ray Hanna it features in some memorable flights (Down the strait/finish straight at Goodwood and the “F*** ME” of Alain de Cadenet)
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

FE1E7B79-D89C-48A3-B611-99F6FEC31B81.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Peter, the joy ride these days starts at about £5000. An hours flight is £8000, when I think about the hours of fun that could be had with that money it doesnt bear thinking about. However I did enjoy it, especially the talk about Douglas Bader and Coldiz. My fathers best friend, Pat Frasser was there and was part of the team that built the glider in the loft. (Notice the the double s he was very particular about that). He also drove at LeMans for Morgan, great guy.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Pal of mine did a 1 hr flight from Duxford down to the white cliffs of Dover (about an hour all told) he said it was the experience of a lifetime. He did barrel rolls and some basic aerobatics and was able to take the controls as well.
Simon
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

It's on my list for this year. I was going to do it in 2020 but we all know what happened then.
I was planning on doing the flight out of Headcorn, if they still do it out of there.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Are you in front or behind the pilot?
When I had flight in Australia with an open cockpit bi plane the pilot was behind us.
He did offer some aerobatics but I decided my stomach might not like it. It was certainly wind in your hair experience and seeing both the coast line and masses of vines there south of Adelaide.
I think it was a Boeing Stearman. Despite not being able to see the ground in front he made a text book landing and then had to wiggle his way back to the apron.
I think I will keep the Spitfire on my to do list. Perhaps raid the pension.
Peter C
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

StewbieC wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:14 am It's on my list for this year. I was going to do it in 2020 but we all know what happened then.
I was planning on doing the flight out of Headcorn, if they still do it out of there.
They’ve just started flights out of north Weald. Beast thing about that is you can park your car right in front of the planes for a photo op.
Simon