Noise cameras

Other topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Noise cameras

Post by peterc »

I wouldn’t suggest that we all have noisy exhausts but beware that noise cameras are due to be introduced.
Together with ANPR they will issue a fine of between £100 to £2500 and persistent offenders will have their cars confiscated.
They have already been tested in Chelsea where the limit was set at 80 decibels ( legal limit is 74) and the result was 2000 cars would have been prosecuted during the three month test.
Like most laws it is being Introduced because of a minority who excessively break the law but it will catch many more marginally noisy cars.
So guys keep the volume down.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Noise cameras

Post by clive »

So, my car passed an SVA test back in the day when the noise limit was 101 db. Am I now going to be deemed illegal or will it be exempt?
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Interesting fact Clive. I don’t remember having a measured noise check at SVA but if you say it was 101 ( probably at 1 meter) then where does the 74 fit in. Mind you your test was probably at higher revs to check max noise. The cameras would be checking normal drive by conditions but of course it would depend on camera position. Listening for acceleration away from the traffic lights? Mine definitely has more bark then.
The article suggested that 74 was about the same level as flushing a toilet. There are considerable number of cars, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Audi A8, Aston etc that sound rather noisy when in a low gear.
Yet another screw into drivers enjoyment?
Peter C
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
clive wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:54 am So, my car passed an SVA test back in the day when the noise limit was 101 db. Am I now going to be deemed illegal or will it be exempt?
Depends how much time you spend showing off in the West end!
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

No danger of being in the West End (Unless it is Blairgowrie!). But here’s hoping that they don’t put them in tunnels. 😄
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

clive wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:14 am No danger of being in the West End (Unless it is Blairgowrie!). But here’s hoping that they don’t put them in tunnels. 😄
Now that would just be cruel!
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Don’t even mention that!!!
It will give them more ideas.
Peter C