Is the future solely electric - perhaps not

Other topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Is the future solely electric - perhaps not

Post by peterc »

Judging by todays shenanigans its going to be a bit bleak relying just on electricity.
OK not the suppliers fault this time as a car took a liking to a sub station and damaged it but it brings it home to the problems that are then created.
Some armco needed to protect the sub station would probably be good.

So no electricity means no central heating, no light, no landline phone, no web, no kettle. You get the drift.
Just been out in the petrol driven car to A warm up and B charge my phone!
Luckily we have a gas hob, but of course it needs matches to light it.

Power now restored ( mid morning) obviously as I'm managing to write this but there are rumors that we should expect some cuts this winter due to Mr Putin.
I think I will now pop out for some paraffin for the old style table lamps so we can have lights another time and naturally some matches.

Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Is the future solely electric - perhaps not

Post by clive »

We regularly have power outages so are prepared for it. Gas light and picnic stove are always on standby, along with a small kettle and pots. If you boil the kettle for beverages and there is any water left in the kettle, it houses into a vacuum flask to be used next time. Landline telephones will still work as long as it is the basic handset and a battery radio gives you entertainment. As for keeping warm, we had a coal fire up until we moved but still have a paraffin heater in the garage (although the garage door is electric!) If no other heating you can cuddle up with Jan!
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

My wife is a great on for filling the (electric) kettle before boiling it. I keep saying we’re boiling enough for 8-10 people every time!
Anyway, long story short, bought an electric “caravan” kettle. It only takes 1/2 litre, perfect for the two of us.
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

On a slightly different note, we were without water for over 24 hours a while back. This is the first property where we don’t have a cold water tank or hot water cylinder so absolutely no water reserve for washing, flushing toilets or cooking. It’s amazing what we do take for granted.
Cheers, Clive.

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Sounds like you are well prepared Clive but now need to get a rain water butt.
I have heard that new/ modern houses have had these shorts cuts incorporated. That’s what they call progress!
As you say we all take these everyday things for granted.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Sounds like you are well prepared Clive but now need to get a rain water butt.
I have heard that new/ modern houses have had these shorts cuts incorporated. That’s what they call progress!
As you say we all take these everyday things for granted.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Aye Peter, all those years as a Boy Scout finally paying off. I think a bore hole might be on the cards and you never know, I might hit oil or gas! 🤣
Cheers, Clive.

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

If you were that successful then I expect Nicola would demand it all belongs to her.
Peter C
cobraboy

Post by cobraboy »

Due to complex medical needs of a family member we have over time installed everything we need to be off grid.
A diesel generator supplies power, this wired through a changeover switch to isolate from the grid when on generator power.
The means to mix fuel for the generator from bulk heating oil supply. An oil boiler which supplies heat and hot water, a woodburner which also supplies heat and hot water, copious rain water storage, and water filtration kit if needed, plus stored, sealed bulk drinking water.
Rural location and many years of having frequent and sometimes long power outages concentrate the mind.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Obviously it’s needs must and well done for being so well organised.
I live only ten minutes walk from the Center of large town so not sure what the neighbours would think with a generator buzzing away in close proximity unless I shared some power with them.
It’s a big difference between town and country sized gardens.
It’s certainly food for thought.
Peter C