Prices

Other topics
simonjrwinter

Prices

Post by simonjrwinter »

I’ve noticed the price of a Hawk FIA body and Chassis is now almost £12,000 including the dreaded VAT. All other Cobra and GT40 manufacturers have posted similar increased prices (this is not a criticism of any of the companies, it’s a reflection of increased material costs throughout the entire world)
These prices are surely going to push these cars out of the reach of “normal” people and into an increasingly small group of people. This in turn will affect the kit companies as the market will dwindle. Once upon a time the average Joe could save up and buy these “toys” we so enjoy, can it still be enjoyed by those people?
My son in law has just bought an immaculate low mileage Boxster for 4K………where is the incentive to spend ten times that much (or more) on building a “kit car”
Are these the ramblings of a madman? Am I missing something important? Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Discuss………..

Ps, again, not having a pop at any mfrs, I’m sure there’s no profiteering going on, just a reflection of world events!
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Prices

Post by KevinW »

I think you are right. Moreover, I think the home-build market is diminishing as skills are waning (most of us here started out fixing our daily drivers I suspect, most younger people now don't), and costs are increasing. There seems to be greater interest with younger people in 'Pimping' your ride, rather than outright building cars.

I started out in the kitcar world just over 25 years ago using a spare £2.5k insurance pay out when my car was stolen to buy a Pilgrim Sumo chassis and some other bits to get started. It was tight, but I reckoned I could just about do it. I don't think that an inflation-adjusted insurance pay out would stretch to the £7k+ it would cost now for the same items.

I suppose all of this just illustrates the fact that hand-built hand crafted item costs are enormous compared to mass production.
Same story contributed to the ultimate demise of our favourite UK car company.

[btw I paid £12k for my Crendon rolling chassis including body in 2009 using the sale of the Sumo to pump prime the project. Prices are about double that. On the other hand you can sell a Sumo for £20k+ easily].
Migge

Post by Migge »

20 Years ago the German market was full of Cobra replikas, approx. 150 you can choose from, as low as 15T EU.

Now you can find approx. 30 and a lot without any proper papers. The rest who have German TÜV etc. will cost at least 50T € and much above.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

The quality of home built cars has thankfully improved significantly over the years. Starting with what the manufactures offered. Legislation is also having an affect with all those manufactures having to spend time investigating and implementing the additional rules. It all means the price get elevated each year.
I guess Covid has also had an affect with some small companies unable to survive.
Yes, unfortunately I think we are starting to witness the downward slope of the individually built cars. It will be sad to see the diversity of car options disappear.
Sign of the times before we all confined to a small box with an electric motor. Of course if Greta had her way we would all be in a peddle car like some children had when they were 5 years old.
Make the most of our freedom.
Peter C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I know that vinyl ester resin prices have rocketed recently as have most oil derived products. Labour costs have also increased so it is no surprise prices for kits have increased. Painting a car is at least 3 times now what I paid 12 years ago, so at least kit prices haven't gone up by that much in comparison.
Having spent time with most of the major manufacturers the general consensus is that quality kits still have strong demand and Gerrys lead times are in excess of 2 years for Cobra/Ace and Stratos kits.
I think that we would all wish for the prices to be lower but it's not about profiteering.
Just look at prices of classics too, a sign that it's not just our toys.