Red flags next ??

Other topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Red flags next ??

Post by peterc »

It seems that the next stage in the war on motorists is to lower the speed limit throughout towns to 20 mph and in residential areas 10 mph. I was under the impression they were trying to reduce pollution not increase it!
Doesn’t driving in 2nd gear create more CO2 ?
I can only assume we will soon be obliged to have someone walking in front with a red flag order to traverse a town.
Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Red flags next ??

Post by KevinW »

I think 20mph in towns is a good idea; nothing to do with emissions, but survivability in the event of a collision:
https://www.roadwise.co.uk/using-the-ro ... e%20killed.
Already achieved in London ofcourse where average speed is about 4mph (same as a horse and carriage ~120 years ago).

Concomitant increase to 80mph on national speed limits would also seem appropriate to me.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Perhaps I will need to consider changing the diff ratio. I’m sure 20 mph is not kind to my Cobra.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Perhaps I will need to consider changing the diff ratio. I’m sure 20 mph is not kind to my Cobra.
I think that there will be big issues with pedestrians walking around with ear pieces and finding they haven't heard an electric car in close proximity. They walk out into the road without looking around my area totally oblivious to others.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I think that there will be bigger issues with pedestrians walking around with ear pieces preventing them from hearing the surrounding traffic. They step out into the road without looking and with the increase in electrical vehicles this will be a big risk.
Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

peterc wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:00 pm I think that there will be bigger issues with pedestrians walking around with ear pieces preventing them from hearing the surrounding traffic. They step out into the road without looking and with the increase in electrical vehicles this will be a big risk.
Peter C
Agreed, but I think you re basically re-affirming the case for slower speeds in the city!

...and yes, my 2.88 diff and big block doesn't really want to be under 60 in top (1:1). I have to drop down to 2nd or 3d to make it driveable on urban roads.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I see your point of view but basically the motorist shouldn’t be the scapegoat for the stupidity of pedestrians.
There’s a clear demarcation. Roads for cars etc and pavement for pedestrians.
PeterC
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Well, maybe in a galaxy far far way, but meanwhile, on this lump of rock Bozzo walks out in front of you with his headphones so loud you can hear NWA blarring out, and its you fault you hit him..... unless you have the resource to hire a damned good brief. No its not fair or reasonable, I agree!
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Up until fairly recently, it was still mandatory in Edinburgh that all motor vehicles should be proceeded by a person bearing a red flag. One of those other bye-laws overlooked, was that all hackney cabs must carry hay to feed the horse!

As far as the numpty walking out in front of you, perhaps dashcams should be compulsory.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I decided to invest in a dash cam but it doesn’t prevent the pillocks around you from conducting dangerous moves. It just makes me more law abiding.
Peter C