Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Vented disc upgrade RV8

Post by Homewood »

Hi
I have MGB V8 solid disk and calipers.

Is it worth upgrading to the MG spares 4 pot vented brakes (RV8 ?)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254299480058

Mine work but not like a modern car I have no servo just wondering if I will notice a huge difference?

Anyone else do this upgrade ?
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Vented disc upgrade RV8

Post by peterc »

I’m sure someone will say that unless you are going to do some track work then upgrading the front discs beyond what was used on the MGB V8 is possibly not worth the extra cost.
I have only ever had large vented discs with 4 pot callipers from day one so can’t say how they would compare.
I don’t think you can compare with modern brakes regarding the braking effort.
You might need to change the master cylinder to get the correct amount of fluid to the extra pistons. Gerry should be able to advise.
Pedal effort will also depend a on pad type.
Fingers crossed someone has changed from basic to 4 pot to advise.
Peter C
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Thanks Peter let's see if anyone else has an opinion I'm not sure myself
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Evening, when doing my brakes I bent Gerries ear, and regarding the MGB V8 discs his raction was why would I want to fit 'cheese graters' to slow the car down??, He may have changed his mind by now! In any event I followed the 'Princess calipers and Peugeot Discs' route. No servo, has worked well no problems.
Allan
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I too have the Princess 4 pot callipers and vented Peugeot discs on my Ford engined 289. Apparently the callipers are now like hen's teeth but I believe Gerry has an alternative. I changed from the original standard pads to Ferodo DS2500 ones as the have more bite when cold and less fade when hot. Some folk prefer Green Stuff or Red Stuff pads, but I have heard that the Red Stuff are not so good for normal road use as they need to be warmed before they reach maximum efficiency.

The only time I have had brake issues was at Le Mans on the Mulsanne straight where I encountered a long pedal travel, but that was due to the brake fluid needing changed as it was getting too hot and had absorbed water over a couple of years of road use.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)