Urgent question for hardtop owners!

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Urgent question for hardtop owners!

Post by KevinW »

Trying to get some fixings on my hardtop in case it may be needed on the trip to the Nat Kit Car Show in Malvern.
Rear fixings almost sorted.

My question concerns front fixings and the lip in the moulding that the hood bows are bonded to:

Does your grp lip mounting lip on front underside of hardtop moulding extend across the full width of the hood bow?

and: did you just bond it with Polyurethane adhesive (eg Sikaflex/Wurth)?

I suspect the lip on mine has been excessively trimmed by the previous owner of the bubbletop: it only extends out about ~15-20mm width i.e. about half the width of the hood bow, so virtually impossible to add the temporary screws shown in the pic. I'm preparing to bond in some grp ribbon to substantially extend its reach.

But....if that is not needed I am keen to avoid getting the resin out again if I don't need to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Urgent question for hardtop owners!

Post by StewbieC »

My lip goes right across and is normally 30-40mm deep and I use Sika flex to pre-bond in the right position (as the bows sit at a bit of an angle and there's a bit of a gap to fill). Once it has gone off I drill and fit countersunk screws through the bows and lip with penny washers on the back with lock nuts.
I don't particularly think that the lip all the way a cross is needed as long as you have a decent seal with the top of the screen.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Gaffer tape between the top of the windscreen and hardtop makes an excellent seal. I use Gorilla Tape on my soft top and it has been good for over 400 miles in heavy rain.

If it's good enough for racing it should be good enough for us!
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Thanks chaps, so resin to be mixed up tomorrow, i'll need to extend the lip - probably one of the reasons previous owner was selling.
I'll try the sikoflex for the bit of lip that i already have and then bond the grp direct onto the hood bows.