FUEL TANK

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Slowjoe

FUEL TANK

Post by Slowjoe »

Hi could you please tell me if you dry fit the banjo joints for fuel and breather or use tape or silicone and also the cork gasket on the sender.Hope you understand what I mean. Bye the way I would like say what a cracking magazine Thank's Joe
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: FUEL TANK

Post by clive »

Hi Joe,
It is always better to dry fit the unions if you can. They are slightly tapered so will tighten and seal when they are nipped up. Just don't over tighten, but check for leaks once there is fuel in the system.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

clive wrote:Hi Joe,
It is always better to dry fit the unions if you can. They are slightly tapered so will tighten and seal when they are nipped up. Just don't over tighten, but check for leaks once there is fuel in the system.
Are the banjo unions tapered? I thought not, but...
I wouldn't use PTFE tape on a fuel connection. You could use a fuel-compatible thread locker, but dry should be fine with the appropriate washers.
Don't use anything on the cork sender seal. As Clive says, don't over-tighten as the screw threads strip easily. Again, a spot of threadlocker may be a good idea here as if one works loose you will have a lot of fun trying to tighten it again (tank out job...)
Karl

Post by Karl »

The banjos on the tank go with two sealing washers each, fuel sender (cork) also dry.
Regards Karl
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Roger King wrote: Are the banjo unions tapered? I thought not, but...

Apologies, banjo unions aren't tapered, but if I recall correctly the straight unions that fit the pump and Filter King are tapered.
Cheers, Clive.

Slowjoe

Post by Slowjoe »

Thank you gent's for your replies .
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Before I do final fitting of Fuel tank can anyone give me an indication of the position and size of the hole through the rear bulkhead for the wiring loom.
Thanks
Allan
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Allan,
My wiring loom is routed under the driver's door and then through the rear bulkhead just above the "shelf" that the seatbelt framework sits on. The hole just needs to be big enough for the wires to pass through with a grommet. It does have to be as low down as possible as the loom is not long enough to be too high if I remember correctly. Hopefully the photo will clarify things.

Cheers, Clive.

svcabr

Post by svcabr »

Whereas I ran my loom under the car. It dives down below the brake master cylinders and through the large grommet hole alongside the rear brake line. It then follows this all the way back, fastened to the chassis tube and then enters the boot low down by the fuel tank. But I did use an Autosparks original loom rather than Gerry's....

Alan
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Thanks guys Ill drill the hole in the morn and get the tank fitted.
Regards
Allan