clutch preload?

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
jeff

clutch preload?

Post by jeff »

chaps
I have a T5 gearbox mounted onto a ford 302 with a 10.5 inch ford 3piece diapghram clutch should this have preload or clearance to the clutch release bearing? using gerrys standard hydraulic clutch lever with little mounting block. I keep reading conflicting articles
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins." "Right sir!" "We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: clutch preload?

Post by clive »

Hi Jeff,
I have a 302 and T5 combination with a Ford Motorsport clutch and Gerry's hydraulic system. When I fitted mine I adjusted the slave push rod until it was just touching the fork. This seems to have worked fine for over 30,000 miles. I do not have a return spring fitted to the clutch fork, so the hydraulic system adjusts itself to allow for wear, as opposed to a cable operated clutch.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
jeff

Post by jeff »

Hi Clive,

Thanks for that ....is there not a possibility of losing the rod without a spring?

Jeff
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins." "Right sir!" "We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Some use a return spring, but I've never had any problems. The clutch pedal is heavy enough without more tension!
Cheers, Clive.

Nick Lowe
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Nick Lowe »

Jef,
I have the exact same set up (but 289) as you. Just finished my car and have no return spring. The clutch is heavy and only real bites at the end of it's travel. I adjusted as tight as i could aginst the clutch fork before the push rod started turning and hence only using the clutch tention it's self. no probs so far.
Nick
jeff

Post by jeff »

Thanks Both...I will let you know how I get on

Jeff
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

There is a hole in the Mustang clutch fork for a retaining spring - I made a small metal bracket to fix to one of the slave cylinder mounting bolts and fitted a suitable spring. Doesn't look too secure to me without it.
Nick Lowe
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Nick Lowe »

This is a really good point. Using Gerry's supplied fork and set up there was not enough room between the footwell and the end of the fork. I spent hours filing down fork end after body went on! I had to take off about 20mm . Would be much easier to do with body off.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Nick Lowe wrote:This is a really good point. Using Gerry's supplied fork and set up there was not enough room between the footwell and the end of the fork. I spent hours filing down fork end after body went on! I had to take off about 20mm . Would be much easier to do with body off.
Strange that... I had to do the same. It's a bu&&er to do with the body on! One other thing to check, the flange on the rear of the gearbox can rub on the chassis if not ground down.
Cheers, Clive.

Roger King

Post by Roger King »

The 'preload or clearance' question is an interesting one. Both my cars (Cobra, Mustang) have identical gearboxes, bellhousings and clutches. The Mustang uses a late-model cable conversion for the release bearing, the Cobra has an early-type fork with an altered pivot point. I set the Cobra up to have slight clearance, the Mustang to have a slight preload, as per the conversion instructions (and as Ford did with '90s production cars). Both seem to have been OK for around 15,000 miles, so it's probably down to personal preference!
And yes, you need to trim the end of the clutch fork and the main web under the T5 tailshaft.