T5 Input shaft

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
jeff

T5 Input shaft

Post by jeff »

Another conundrum chaps,

Adjusted clutch so release bearing is just touching .however I still have (although I didnt mention before) a noise which sounds like I havnt got a pilot bush in the back of the crankshaft Ford302........When the engine was built I was supposed to have fitted a 1965-69 289 mustang bronze bush, the gearbox is a new T5 5spd with 10 splines although I do not know the dia. of the shaft..is it possible that it will work without the bearing, hence the noise could i have pushed the bearing further in when I assembled the gearbox etc sounds like i shouldnt be driving it ..........any ideas before I remove the gearbox.

Jeff
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins." "Right sir!" "We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war
Roger King

Re: T5 Input shaft

Post by Roger King »

You can't push the bearing in further, it's a blind hole.

Some use the later-type roller bearing spigot bearing, but I tend to think the earlier bronze bush is a safer bet as there are reports of the roller bearing breaking up.
Are you sure you remembered to fit it? If there's nothing in there you will wreck the input bearing on the gearbox in short order.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Hi Roger

I picked up the engine from real steel with the clutch and flywheel all fitted and ready to receive the gearbox ...it does rather sound to me then that the bearing was never fitted by them and I assumed it was so gearbox out to see is the only way.

Is the bearing specified in my previous post the correct one for a new T5 which I assume has the larger shaft.

Jeff
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins." "Right sir!" "We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I'm afraid it's a while since I did this, but unless I stand corrected the spigot bush/bearing is the same for all, toploaders and T5s etc., and the choice is old-school bush or modern roller bearing, both fit. The spigot on the input shaft is the same diameter for all, I'm pretty sure. However - if you go the roller bearing route, there are two different ones that protrude a different amount from the crankshaft. You don't want the overlong one as the input shaft will bind.

If the clutch was assembled onto the flywheel, I would have thought the spigot bush would have been fitted - not so easy to do with everything in the way. Can you call them and ask?
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Got my pilot bearing from Real Steel. If you tell them it's a 302/289 with a T5 and they'll be able to help. You should have been able to see it even with the flywheel and clutch fitted.
There are probably cheaper places to get them from, I didn't note the code. I'm sure it was a Timkin needle roller but don't have the number. Hope you haven't damaged your input shaft! :oops: