Jag IRS with Outboard brakes for Hawk?

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Roger King

Re: Jag IRS with Outboard brakes for Hawk?

Post by Roger King »

Hmm. New one on me - don't know anything about that version, but it certainly looks right. Just from that picture, the only difference from 'my' version is that the outer pivots may not require sleeving as the pin must be the correct diameter already. You've still got to source the parts though, which are getting pretty rare now, and you'll still need the wishbone shortening in a manner that keeps the damper mounts in the right place.
I'd be interested to know what happens at the outer wishbone pivot in this setup. Could be Jaguar used a top hat sleeve* as well, in which case I appear to have reinvented a wheel which I didn't know existed.

* To explain: the 'XJ6' pivot pin is a larger diameter than the 'XJ40' pin (yes, I know, they were both technically XJ6s).
JohnO
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by JohnO »

Almost there with the rear axle - Jag powerlock 3.45 diff with XJ40 outboard brakes. A few questions (probably for Roger):

1. Anyone got pictures showing how the handbrake cable mechanism was fabricated?

2. Ed (Ward Engineering) said to mount the hubs with calipers at the front - is this how others have done it?

3. How long a flexible hose should I use to the caliper? Standard seems to be 15 inches, but 17 inch also available.

Thanks,
John O.
John O.
Retired - currently building a Hawk 289 FIA (very slowly)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

JohnO wrote:Almost there with the rear axle - Jag powerlock 3.45 diff with XJ40 outboard brakes. A few questions (probably for Roger):

1. Anyone got pictures showing how the handbrake cable mechanism was fabricated?

2. Ed (Ward Engineering) said to mount the hubs with calipers at the front - is this how others have done it?

3. How long a flexible hose should I use to the caliper? Standard seems to be 15 inches, but 17 inch also available.
1 - The handbrake cable mechanism was fabricated as a plate welded to the chassis to retain the outers. Can't remember what I did to the cables (you can sort it out from the pic), but they were stock XJ40 cables modified to suit by Speedycables. The hub end is stock. The bracket in the photo flexed a bit - I'd use thicker steel.

ImageImage

2, and 3 - Nope - I chose to mount the calipers at the back, as in a genuine car. Can't see what difference it would make, and it's still going strong 12,000 miles later... or so I believe. Bit of a pain to change them over, though, if you've already fitted them. The pic shows my setup, also the flexi hose which I had made up to suit by BGC.

Hope that helps,
Roger
JohnO
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by JohnO »

Yes, helpful as ever Roger - the pictures a just what I need. Sounds like I'll be trying my hand at welding next! :lol:
John O.
Retired - currently building a Hawk 289 FIA (very slowly)
kdavies3

Post by kdavies3 »

Hi Roger and John.
Unfortunately your pictures are no longer showing (Photobucket)
Any chance you could re-post them please?
I'll be at this very point soon as Gerry supplies my IRS mounting kit.
Many thanks.
Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Kev,
No longer visible owing to Photophu@kit going commercial
There are two caliper cables on the jag. I used a Spitfire handbrake cable off ebay and made my own relay lever set up with a clip in bracket as a compensator for the two caliper cables. Works fine.
It's bolted to the prop shaft hoop support bracket. The small angle bracket at the rear just has slots and holes cut in to allow the caliper cables to sit in there. This bolts to the IRS carrier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kdavies3

Post by kdavies3 »

Loving your work Stew thanks.
Did you use unmodified Jaguar caliper cables or shortened?
Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Kev,
Thanks, they were supplied by Ed at Wards so I'm assuming standard cables.
When it comes to the brake lines, route them on the front face of the chassis cross member and use the welded in M6 male threaded stud to attach the t-piece connector (it's self explanatory if you have a look). You have to make some brackets to attach the flexis to the chassis ( I just used some 40mm angle iron). I got Brian at BCG in Wisbech http://www.bgcmotorsport.co.uk/ to make the flexis up. The hoses need to be a big enough loop to take up the suspension travel and the positioning will depend on if the calipers are front or back. Mine are forward of the hubs.