Re: Engine Bay Aluminium Covering

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Or there is always good old Fablon

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BUY-2-GET-1-F ... 0668418489

Robin
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

StewbieC wrote:I bent them myself using two pieces of timber and two G clamps. 1mm ally with plastic coating on one side. Templates made from wallpaper lining paper cut out. I did make a mess out of one but remade with the remainder of the sheet.
1mm ally is so easy to bend. When cut and riveted in place, peel off the plastic coating and et voila, scratch free engine bay lining.
Exactly what I did, also. Easy to get an excellent result. If it has fibreglass footboxes, don't forget they should be left white gelcoat. Only bulkhead and inner wings were ally.
Trouble with paint could be a) it'll scratch easily, showing white 'glass beneath and b) you can't clean the engine bay with a solvent-based degreaser 'cos you'll take it all off!
Downside to aluminium - hours of polishing with Solvol, if you care that much.

Actually, I like Robin's idea best. But it needs to be period sixties:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-Fablon- ... 4ae3ed1e4a

Would match Lee's new paintjob beautifully (great to meet you this weekend, Lee!)

Roger
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Roger King wrote:
StewbieC wrote: Downside to aluminium - hours of polishing with Solvol, if you care that much.

Roger
And here am I looking for ways to get a naturally aged look on aluminium :lol:

cheers...Nige
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Roger King wrote:)you can't clean the engine bay with a solvent-based degreaser 'cos you'll take it all off!
Having a Ford engine, I do get the occasional oil splatter in the engine bay, but I use Auto Glym Engine and Machine cleaner which is water based so no problems with the paint.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

agnoraan wrote:
Roger King wrote:
StewbieC wrote: Downside to aluminium - hours of polishing with Solvol, if you care that much.

Roger
And here am I looking for ways to get a naturally aged look on aluminium :lol:

cheers...Nige
Don't worry mate, you can do what you like to it, it will still age naturally and quickly, trust me.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Never polished the panels, most they get is a wipe.
The bottom of the foot wells have a bit of whitening from crap off the roads but that adds to the patina!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

StewbieC wrote:Never polished the panels, most they get is a wipe.
The bottom of the foot wells have a bit of whitening from crap off the roads but that adds to the patina!
Yes, same here. Problem is that now applies to the entire car.
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Does anybody have any contact details for Jon Towers? I’ve tried to contact Slipstream Designs re their CAD files but they are not coming back to me.

Dave.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Another consideration is that having folded panels without a join means that the return portion into the wing area will not go up to the top of the arch.
A one piece item would probably need to have been fitted without the body on the chassis in order to slide it in. IMHO.
The top will be far enough to be out of sight but anyone bending in for a better look will see it stoops short.
Painting gets over that issue but obviously it is best done before you fit brake line, wiring etc.
I decided having not done it during the build to leave it as supplied albeit cleaned up, but then I do have white footwells and inner arches.
Peter C
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Dave Woodward wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:00 pm Does anybody have any contact details for Jon Towers? I’ve tried to contact Slipstream Designs re their CAD files but they are not coming back to me.

Dave.
I think I went through this loop when I did mine about 4 years ago - I think they never replied. Ended up doing it all with wallpaper patterns and folding ally over a piece of angle iron. I did it with the engine out but the body on the chassis from memory.