Cobra rear lights LED conversion

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Cobra rear lights LED conversion

Post by peterc »

As far as I know several people were trying to create these lights with varying success. Trying to get the colour balance of indicators and brake lights to all be in the same unit was initially causing problems. Paul had created his own test version on the bench and so worked with Spyida to put forward his ideas and they pooled their knowledge to create the production version.
I was one of group of lucky initial buyers to get a set cheaper than was to be the market price.
Peter C
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

289 Baz

Post by 289 Baz »

I was part of the R&D along with Paul so I do know where they come from. I still have one set of prototype lights fitted to my car, they have since gone through two upgrades I think, one was to supply complete lighting units, another was a modification to the main board. Only then did Spiyda release them for general sale.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

agnoraan wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:28 pm I was under the impression that Spiyda were already producing LED tail lights/indicators and had been for some time. I was told that they did the R&D and manufactured these and added them to their portfolio.
I think what Baz and Peter said is correct.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Having just fitted these to the Crendon, just a quick postscript:
Do not attempt fitting one side of the car with LED 542s whilst leaving conventional incandescent lights on the other during fitment and testing - this will lead to odd LED behaviour and a a lot of head scratching....several hours spent yesterday trying to understand what was going on- the tungsten filaments, only offering a a few ohms resistance, will provide an unwanted path to earth for the LEDs so that LED brake and tail light operation won't work properly. Once the old lights are disconnected, then the LEDs will function as intended.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Kevin, I have previously mentioned good earthing is needed for such low power LED’s but this also applies to the dashboard area.
I had some weird issues of a slight pulsing between the brake lights / indicators when both were functioning. This was resolved by adding a separate earth to the scuttle A frame and therefore the control end of the entire cars loom. E.g. including the indicator circuit.
Logically just bolting in the A frame does not ensure that it is correctly earthed to the remainder of the car as the frame is of course painted!
Yes, the correct earthing under the dash was a lightbulb moment suggested by Andrew when he had weird starting issues.
Peter C
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Talking about dashboard instrument lights does anyone know where can I buy good bulbs for all my instruments and will the mgb dimmer switch still work ? I had a lot of trouble reading my Speedo and any instrument on the way home last night.
Tony
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Tony, I have replaced all my dash board instrument lighting with LED bulbs and can now actually see them in the dark which of course is rather useful especially the speedo. I can’t comment on the lighting dimmer switch.
I used ‘bettercarlighting’ and found them very helpful so suggest that you ring them.
If you go on the web you will see they have a vast array of options so you need to work out which type of bulb you need and then you have a choice of super white or classic warm white ( which is what I chose to maintain the period look)
You can even have them different colours should you desire.
I tried the green having used green lighting in another car a few decades ago but this time I decided that the warm white was far more practical and easier to read quickly.
The only real issue I had was fitting them and not disturbing the wiring connections especially when accessing the clock at the bottom of the dash obstructed by the A frame cross bar.
Best of luck.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Kevin, the other thing you shouldn’t do when testing each circuit is to try to illuminate the indicator bulb continuously.
The LED’s are designed to only be illuminated briefly as in normal flashing.
In chasing my earthing errors I connected a permanent live supply to both the brake and indicator circuit as various times. Fortunately probably not longer than 30 secs or so but Spyida advised the system wasn’t design for continuous power to the indicators as they would over heat.
Peter C
frats289

Post by frats289 »

I like the nice warm glow of the originals myself.