IRS Jaguar springs rate

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
etype66

IRS Jaguar springs rate

Post by etype66 »

Hello
I own a Hawk Cobra with a jaguar IRS at rear. I've 4 gaz shock adjustable dampers. Coil springs provide by Gerry seems to be too soft ( don't know the spring rate ) and also seems to be too short ( rear shaft hits the frame ). Damper adjustable "nut" has been set at 10 turns and rear car height is still too low ( 2 fingers between rear arches and tires ).
Any idea regarding an upgrade coil springs ? Thanks you for your help.
Cheers
Eric
Ferngar

Re: IRS Jaguar springs rate

Post by Ferngar »

Are the Gaz adjustable shocks not adjustable on the spring platform? Adjust the height of the car on these not the damper setting knob. You can wind that in to maximum but it won't increase the ride height.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi there,
Could you advise which rear shaft hits what frame?
Also plenty are of the opinion that the standard springs from Gerry are too firm, as a result some try their own ratings. I have the standard springs from Gerry that come with the Gaz shocks and have found them to be the right length and spring rate. If you give Gerry a call, I'm sure he can oblige.
I think my ride height is spot on and not too low.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

As Ferngar has stated if the car isn’t high enough then simply wind the spring support rings up.
When setting my IRS up with Gerry’s standard springs I couldn’t get the car low enough without the springs coming loose. The answer was to have helper springs which collapse when the spring is loaded but open up to hold the spring in place when the suspension is dropped. This enables you to have the spring platform near the bottom most setting.
Surprised you have to car too low.
Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Just a thought. What are the tyre pressures?
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)