Side Screens

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
allan horsfall

Side Screens

Post by allan horsfall »

Gentlemen

I'm back off to Greece on Thursday but when I get back, my first priority is to find a solution to stop my side screens from flapping about.
There does seem to be a spare screw toward the top of the screen which may enable some sort of fixing, but how to do it and still be able to open the doors etc, thats the question??
As I want to use the side screens independently of the hood, fixing it to the hood is not an option and winter is on its way!!
Apart from the irritation of the flapping, it must be putting a strain on the door mounts.
Any ideas or cleaver solutions greatfully recieved.

Regards
Allan
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Side Screens

Post by peterc »

Alan,
I think I wrote an article on this back in 2017. I will try to locate it.
Basically I made a small Ali angle bracket and attached to the windscreen surround. I remember drilling/tapping the hole with trepidation and the drill did touch something harder which was probably the edge of the glass despite my careful measuring.
I added some felt pads as a buffer for the edge of the side screen.
The brackets can be adjusted ( bent) to obtain the best grabbing affect of the side screen.
Those who want it to look original need to locate a rubber conical shaped buffer.
Peter C
DSC_1705.JPG[/aattachment][attachment=1]DSC_1704.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Peter

Not sure my nerves would stand drilling that hole. I'll have a look when I get back ! thanks for the input.

Allan
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Cars left Thames Ditton with a simple steel chrome-plated right-angle bracket fixed to the back face of the windscreen by a chrome-plated raised countersunk 2BA screw. A rubber buffer was installed through a hole in the plate. One of the top-end US restoration companies had this buffer, which appears to have been specially made, reproduced some years ago but have no stock remaining.
Buffer2.jpg
This buffer is similar to, but smaller than, the buffer fixed to the top of the A-post door shut return to damp the aluminium doorskin against the scuttle on later cars. Early cars had the 'pin and socket' arrangement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Just about to make 2 of these buffers as I found some rubber buffers that are very close to this shape.

But most people probably have a Brasscraft screen and the screw size is 4BA not 2BA.

Will post photo when completed.
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Gentlemen,
Pleased to say that since my original post I have come up with a solution to the problem and it works a treat. My problem was that I did not have the nerve to follow Peters lead and start drilling holes in the frame, however at Silverstone I noticed a very nice Hawk Ace (sorry to admit I cant recall the owners name) but got chatting to him. He had removed the top screw on the side of the frame, inserted a peice of thin stainless between the outer and inner frame then marked through the hole, removed and drilled the stainless strip, reinserted it and put the screw back in place.
He ingeniously used an old fish slice to provide the correct size of steel!
I stole his basic idea, but in his application the steel strip was straight, so decided I could improve on it by bending the steel into a Z shape to allow it to return from the anchor point, turn across the windscreen frame, then turn again towards the side screen. This gave better positioning to the side screen. I then finnished off by drilling the outer end of the strip and fitting a rubber gromet to go against the side screen.
I also pinched his idea of the fish slice, bought it from a local junk shop for a £1.
The trickiest bit was heating and bending the Z due to the bends being being so close and tight.
It works a treat, so I owe you Mr Ace owner a pint.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

We need PICTURES!!!!!!😜
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Bad luck my old 1987 frame have two holes drilled and tapped for 4 ba.
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Bad luck my old 1987 frame have two holes drilled and tapped for 4 ba.
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Simon,
Hav,nt done pictures before but Ill give it a go. By the way I think the original idea was from Don Frost who got the 'Best New Build' award at Silverstone this year.